Re: [Synoptic-L] The Farrer Theory's 'Number 2' position

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
      Isn't it a bit self-serving to simply equate a wider acceptance of Markan priority with "progress"? I could imagine progress being defined as less doctinaire positions on the Synoptic Gospels, and a little more original thinking on their inter-relationships. Systematically ignoring the clear evidence of secondarity in Mark's text with respect to the parallel texts of Matthew and Luke is, in any case, not particularly enlightened or enlightening. The main arguments for Markan priority are illogical, weak, or non-conclusive -- no matter how large a flock of sheep lines up to follow them.

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2009
        Leonard Maluf wrote:

        > Isn't it a bit self-serving to simply equate a wider acceptance of Markan
        > priority with "progress"? I could imagine progress being defined as less
        > doctinaire positions on the Synoptic Gospels, and a little more original
        > thinking on their inter-relationships.
        > The main arguments for Markan priority are illogical, weak, or
        > non-conclusive -- no matter how large a flock of sheep lines up to follow
        > them.

        Leonard,

        I take it to be "progress" when rational arguments prevail. The arguments
        for Markan priority are strong when sensible allowance is made for the human
        nature of the synoptic authors.

        For example in recent years Mark Goodacre has added the excellent new
        argument based on the 'fatigue' of an author copying from an earlier
        document.

        I can add my own quite different argument. I have measured what I call the
        'picturesqueness' of the basic two-level structures of the major NT
        documents. For each section my computer program identifies the Greek word
        (or in most cases, stem) which is most distinctive of that section, then
        calculates the mean distinctiveness for all the sections. Picturesqueness is
        the same value with an adjustment to allow for document size.

        Acts and Mark are each more distinctive and more picturesque than either
        Matthew or Luke. This can readily be explained only on the hypothesis of
        Markan priority. For when an author does a lot of copying from written
        source(s), his vocabulary is necessarily constrained or diluted by the words
        he copies. When he is not so constrained (as in e.g. Acts and Mark) the
        resultant document structure will tend to be more picturesque.

        A lack of original thinking? Not on our part!