Re: [Synoptic-L] The Farrer Theory's 'Number 2' position

  • poirier
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2009
      Ron,
      I can speak for myself: I asked my magic 8-ball!
      Seriously, I based my statement on my familiarity with the
      field. I don't know how to quantify the solutions' running
      positions any more objectively, but I think it is clear
      that Farrer took over second position several years ago.
      FWIW, Dungan agreed with my assessment at the 2008 SBL
      meeting. He there acknowledged that the FH was growing by
      leaps and bounds, and he lamented that the Two-Gospel
      Theory had "slowed to a trickle".
      John C. Poirier

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
        Isn't it a bit self-serving to simply equate a wider acceptance of Markan priority with "progress"? I could imagine progress being defined as less doctinaire positions on the Synoptic Gospels, and a little more original thinking on their inter-relationships. Systematically ignoring the clear evidence of secondarity in Mark's text with respect to the parallel texts of Matthew and Luke is, in any case, not particularly enlightened or enlightening. The main arguments for Markan priority are illogical, weak, or non-conclusive -- no matter how large a flock of sheep lines up to follow them.

        Leonard Maluf
        Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
        Weston, MA

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2009
          Leonard Maluf wrote:

          > Isn't it a bit self-serving to simply equate a wider acceptance of Markan
          > priority with "progress"? I could imagine progress being defined as less
          > doctinaire positions on the Synoptic Gospels, and a little more original
          > thinking on their inter-relationships.
          > The main arguments for Markan priority are illogical, weak, or
          > non-conclusive -- no matter how large a flock of sheep lines up to follow
          > them.

          Leonard,

          I take it to be "progress" when rational arguments prevail. The arguments
          for Markan priority are strong when sensible allowance is made for the human
          nature of the synoptic authors.

          For example in recent years Mark Goodacre has added the excellent new
          argument based on the 'fatigue' of an author copying from an earlier
          document.

          I can add my own quite different argument. I have measured what I call the
          'picturesqueness' of the basic two-level structures of the major NT
          documents. For each section my computer program identifies the Greek word
          (or in most cases, stem) which is most distinctive of that section, then
          calculates the mean distinctiveness for all the sections. Picturesqueness is
          the same value with an adjustment to allow for document size.

          Acts and Mark are each more distinctive and more picturesque than either
          Matthew or Luke. This can readily be explained only on the hypothesis of
          Markan priority. For when an author does a lot of copying from written
          source(s), his vocabulary is necessarily constrained or diluted by the words
          he copies. When he is not so constrained (as in e.g. Acts and Mark) the
          resultant document structure will tend to be more picturesque.

          A lack of original thinking? Not on our part!