Lk 17:21

  • Frides Laméris
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2009
      Dear friends of the list,

      A question on Luke 17:21 concerning 'entos humoon', most often rendered in translations as
      'amongst you', occasionally translated as 'within you' (which seems to make more spiritual sense to me).

      I Just read the 2009 publication of Ilaria Ramelli in Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies,
      Vol. 12.2, 259-286 syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye/Vol12No2/HV12N2Ramelli.pdf

      a publication, entitled:
      LUKE 17:21: "THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS INSIDE YOU"

      THE ANCIENT SYRIAC VERSIONS IN SUPPORT OF THE CORRECT TRANSLATION*

      Going back to the church fathers comments, most Syriac translations, Luke's theology,
      Septuagint renderings, an impressive number of entos meaning 'inside' in Greek literature,
      she is convinced 'inside you' is the (only) correct translation of this Lukan expression

      Coming to my question. If this is true, I wonder why in so many commentaries and articles on Luke
      17:21 one so often encounters the tranlation of entos as 'amongst you', while usuallly not giving too many arguments
      (ore none) are given why it should be preferred over the meaning 'inside you'? Somebody has a clue here?

      I must confess the translation 'inside of', or 'within you', started to make more (most) sense to
      me when I started practising meditation in 1972, when I was in my first year of theology study.
      I remember one of my teachers at that time stating emphatically, entos could (or even should!) not be
      rendered by 'inside you'. At that time I did have the feeling though he was saying that more on dogmatical grounds
      than on philological ones.

      So, after that many years Mrs. Ramelli has 'seen the light' on entos humoon (again)?

      Any comments from the experts?

      Best wishes,

      Frides Laméris, Zuidlaren, Netherlands

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010