Re: [Synoptic-L] New article on Q and method

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2009
      > "Q as Hypothesis: A Study in Methodology"
      > Francis Watson
      > New Testament Studies (2009), 55:397-415
      >
      > Abstract
      > Arguments for the Q hypothesis have changed little since B. H. Streeter. The
      > purpose of this article is not to advocate an alternative hypothesis but to
      > argue that, if the Q hypothesis is to be sustained, the unlikelihood of
      > Luke's dependence on Matthew must be demonstrated by a systematic and
      > comprehensive reconstruction of the redactional procedures entailed in the
      > two hypotheses. The Q hypothesis will have been verified if (and only if) it
      > generates a more plausible account of the Matthean and Lukan redaction of
      > Mark and Q than the corresponding account of Luke's use of Mark and Matthew.

      Thanks to Wieland for passing on this information.

      The argument in the second sentence in the abstract above is probably true
      (depending on one's definition of 'sustained'). Unfortunately the third
      sentence is patently false. It is as if we were to claim that a careful
      comparison of the land area of Canada with that of China, showing that
      Canada is bigger, would verify that Canada is the biggest country in the
      world. It would not, for it is not.

      Watson should be given credit for implicitly discounting outlandish
      hypotheses. But why do he and so many others insist on seeing the problem in
      black and white? Can't they see that:

      *the weakness of the 2ST is primarily in its handling of narrative text, and
      the weakness of the FT is primarily in its handling of the sayings*?

      Isn't the solution obvious? It seemed obvious to me over 10 years ago, and
      my detailed studies since that time have confirmed it. The Double Tradition
      didn't all come from the same source!! (For the detailed arguments, start at
      the Web page below.)