Re: [Synoptic-L] plural of pericope

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2009

      On Aug 8, 2009 7:59 AM, Maluflen@... wrote:
      >I just opened the cited book on Mark's use of Matthew and
      >found (p. 15) the word pericopae, as a plural of pericope. Is
      >this standard, and is it correct? I find it jarring, because it
      >seems to presuppose that the singular is pericopa, a first
      >declension Latin derivative. Should it not be pericopai? Is
      >there an accepted standard plural form for pericope?

      According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the plural of
      "pericope" is either "pericopes" or "pericopae." I recall
      reading both forms in the scholarship. As for the spelling
      of the latter form, it appears to me that "pericopae" is a
      Latinized transliteration of the Greek plural περικοπαι
      PERIKOPAE. Lewis and Short state that the Greek word
      was borrowed into Latin as PERICOPE (gen. PERICOPES),
      citing Jerome, In Joel 2, but does not give the plural form.

      Stephen Carlson

      Interestingly, Latin borrowed pericope into the 3rd declension (as with
      most Greek nouns borrowed into Latin), making the plural pericopes in
      Latin.  As Stephen says, a Latin transliteration of the Greek first
      declension perikoph, perikopai would give the plural form pericopae.

      Larry Swain

      Independent Scholar

      Chicago, IL

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2009
        To: Synoptic
        On: Study of Matthew's Use of Mark
        From: Bruce

        Thanks, Leonard, I did know of that book. I tend to read it in reverse gear,
        as you might have expected, but even that is useful.

        Does anybody else know of something? If not, I will have to write one
        myself, and I already have a lot to do.