plural of pericope

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2009
      I just opened the cited book on Mark's use of Matthew and found (p. 15) the word pericopae, as a plural of pericope. Is this standard, and is it correct? I find it jarring, because it seems to presuppose that the singular is pericopa, a first declension Latin derivative. Should it not be pericopai? Is there an accepted standard plural form for pericope?

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National?Seminary
      Weston, MA

    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2009
        On Aug 8, 2009 7:59 AM, Maluflen@... wrote:
        >I just opened the cited book on Mark's use of Matthew and
        >found (p. 15) the word pericopae, as a plural of pericope. Is
        >this standard, and is it correct? I find it jarring, because it
        >seems to presuppose that the singular is pericopa, a first
        >declension Latin derivative. Should it not be pericopai? Is
        >there an accepted standard plural form for pericope?

        According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the plural of
        "pericope" is either "pericopes" or "pericopae." I recall
        reading both forms in the scholarship. As for the spelling
        of the latter form, it appears to me that "pericopae" is a
        Latinized transliteration of the Greek plural περικοπαι
        PERIKOPAE. Lewis and Short state that the Greek word
        was borrowed into Latin as PERICOPE (gen. PERICOPES),
        citing Jerome, In Joel 2, but does not give the plural form.

        Stephen Carlson

        --
        Stephen C. Carlson
      • fathchuck@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2009
          My understanding is that pericopae is the proper Latin plural.

          Rev. Charles Schwartz, administrator/pastor
          St. Dorothea
          Eatontown, NJ

        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2009

            On Aug 8, 2009 7:59 AM, Maluflen@... wrote:
            >I just opened the cited book on Mark's use of Matthew and
            >found (p. 15) the word pericopae, as a plural of pericope. Is
            >this standard, and is it correct? I find it jarring, because it
            >seems to presuppose that the singular is pericopa, a first
            >declension Latin derivative. Should it not be pericopai? Is
            >there an accepted standard plural form for pericope?

            According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the plural of
            "pericope" is either "pericopes" or "pericopae." I recall
            reading both forms in the scholarship. As for the spelling
            of the latter form, it appears to me that "pericopae" is a
            Latinized transliteration of the Greek plural περικοπαι
            PERIKOPAE. Lewis and Short state that the Greek word
            was borrowed into Latin as PERICOPE (gen. PERICOPES),
            citing Jerome, In Joel 2, but does not give the plural form.

            Stephen Carlson

            Interestingly, Latin borrowed pericope into the 3rd declension (as with
            most Greek nouns borrowed into Latin), making the plural pericopes in
            Latin.  As Stephen says, a Latin transliteration of the Greek first
            declension perikoph, perikopai would give the plural form pericopae.

            Larry Swain

            Independent Scholar

            Chicago, IL

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8, 2009
              To: Synoptic
              On: Study of Matthew's Use of Mark
              From: Bruce

              Thanks, Leonard, I did know of that book. I tend to read it in reverse gear,
              as you might have expected, but even that is useful.

              Does anybody else know of something? If not, I will have to write one
              myself, and I already have a lot to do.