Re: [Synoptic-L] Apologies -- need for closer screening of new members

  • Tony Buglass
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
      Knew the name was familiar. She tried to join the Yahoo group for Methodist ministers which I moderate - she never replied when I asked for details of her appointment. Narrow escape. We have enough home-grown loonies without importing them! Indeed, we have a much better class of loony in my group - we pride ourselves on it.

      Happy days.
      Cheers,
      Rev Tony Buglass
      Superintendent Minister
      Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
        There ought to be a listserve especially for such people. I'd probably lurk on it just to see what's ought there, for there's fascinating nonsense like this:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcbloBA2Lek

        "DID JESUS GIVE US THE NAME OF THE ANTICHRIST?"

        Some of these sorts of things are potentially dangerous in their influence on people's thinking, and this one purports to identify Barack Obama as the antichrist based on a 'Hebrew' analysis of Luke 10:18 that 'demonstrates' that "lightning from heaven" the supposed Hebrew background as "baraq" and "bamah."

        I won't burden the list with further details, but anyone similarly fascinated with what is out there can click and use up five minutes to find out.

        Jeffery Hodges

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
          At 11:11 AM 8/4/2009, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
          >There ought to be a listserve especially for such people.

          The original CrossTalk (ca. 1996-1998) was such a listserv-- or, at
          least, it was open to such people because it was unmoderated. But
          that was what eventually almost killed the list, and why we moved to
          the present arrangement, thanks to our present moderator, Jeffrey Gibson.

          Bob Schacht
          Honolulu