Re: Marcion: Did Epiphanius know a different version of Luke?

  • David Gentile
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2009
      Just to bring the synoptic list up to date with some of the rest of the discussion. We are also trying to figure out Epiphiniaus's Luke. One explanation, and possibly the best is simply that Epiphiniaus makes a mistake or does not give us the exact text. But operating on the assumption that that is not the case, this is my latest suggestion: (Colors provided by Dave I.)

      Ep Luke:

      "He took unto him the twelve, and said, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written in the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.
      For he shall be delivered and killed, and the third day he shall rise again."

      Our Luke:
      Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.
      For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on:
      And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.

      Our Mark:
      And he took again the twelve, and began to tell them what things should happen unto him, Saying, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be delivered unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles:
      And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.

      My suggested source text of early Mark is then:

      "And he took again the twelve, Saying, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be delivered unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and killed, and the third day he shall rise again."

      I think on other grounds that Luke used a version of Mark older than the one used by Matthew or preserved for us. Then Epiphinius has a version of Luke closer to the autograph than ours, and thus may provide an independent path back to the old text here. Note that the spitting is missing both in the fulfillment in Luke and in Ep.'s version of the prediction, lending a little more credibility to the idea that Epiphiniaus provides an early version of Luke here.

      David Gentile
      Statistician

      Context4 Healthcare, Inc.
      2056 Westings Avenue