reply to recent postings

  • mike carrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2005
      Hi. I'm Mike Carrell, a new member of this synoptic group. I'd like to respond to the recent postings and have you to consider another way of looking at the infancy narratives for both Matthew and Luke. Luke's infancy narrative is positively part of Luke's original gospel. Why? Because I've discovered the literary form in which Luke's gospel and Acts were written. Both were originally written as 40 Stories in the same literary form. Yes, the whole New Testament is written in the same, invariable, literary form of the parables of Jesus. Revelations has the same literary form as the Letter of James. The Gospel of John has the same literary form as Paul's letter to the Romans. Why? The purpose of the parables of Jesus was for the reader to put into practice the wisdom of the parable, and you know what that means: To put into practice the Word of God is justification! That's why every New Testament author uses this same literary form.

      The infancy narratives of both Matthew and Luke are not unlike the Stories that begin Mark and John. They anticipate what will happen in their gospels. Luke's gospel begins with seven anticipation Stories that we call his infancy narrative. The seventh of those Stories anticipates what we might call the beginning of Luke's gospel. I'm going to show you that Story. It is Luke's Story 8 written in this invariable literary form. Before you begin to read it, I will point out to you briefly the literary form of the parables of Jesus. (You can find out later more about the rest of the Stories and the in depth explanation of the literary form at www.The150Parables.com)

      Briefly, there are always five sections in each Story-their names are shown in bold print. Each section will have statements in the same order with the same names as each section. Why? The lightly shaded statement is the story statement, and the darkly shaded statement is the wisdom statement. The purpose of a parable is for the reader to reflect on their story, only then, upon seeing the wisdom for doing so, can they put into practice the wisdom. Two critical relationships of the parables of Jesus are that the wisdom statement of the Wisdom section must give specific meaning to the story statement of the Story section. The wisdom statement of the Appropriating the Wisdom section is why or how we put into practice the wisdom statement of the Wisdom section. I will show you both of those with Story 8. Please realize that there is a purpose for every statement in this Story-and therefore it breaks open the meaning of every verse in the Story!

      Luke, Story 8 (3:1-4:22)

      Focus

      Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene, in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness.

      He came into all the region around the Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for remission of sins. As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, "The voice of one crying in the wilderness, 'Make ready the way of the Lord. Make his paths straight. Every valley will be filled. Every mountain and hill will be brought low. The crooked will become straight, and the rough ways smooth. All flesh will see God's salvation.'" He said therefore to the multitudes who went out to be baptized by him, "You offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and don't begin to say among yourselves, 'We have Abraham for our father;' for I tell you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones! Even now the axe also lies at the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that doesn't bring forth good fruit is cut down, and thrown into the fire." The multitudes asked him, "What then must we do?" He answered them, "He who has two coats, let him give to him who has none. He who has food, let him do likewise." Tax collectors also came to be baptized, and they said to him, "Teacher, what must we do?" He said to them, "Collect no more than that which is appointed to you." Soldiers also asked him, saying, "What about us? What must we do?" He said to them, "Extort from no one by violence, neither accuse anyone wrongfully. Be content with your wages." As the people were in expectation, and all men reasoned in their hearts concerning John,

      whether perhaps he was the Christ,

      John answered them all, "I indeed baptize you with water, but he comes who is mightier than I, the latchet of whose sandals I am not worthy to loosen. He will baptize you in the Holy Spirit and fire, whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his threshing floor, and will gather the wheat into his barn; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

      Story

      Then with many other exhortations he preached good news to the people, but Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him for Herodias, his brother's wife, and for all the evil things which Herod had done, added this also to them all, that he shut up John in prison. Now

      it happened, when all the people were baptized, Jesus also had been baptized, and was praying. The sky was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended on him in a bodily form

      as a dove; and

      a voice came out of the sky, saying "You are my beloved Son. In you I am well pleased."

      Reflection

      Jesus himself, when he began to teach, was about thirty years old, being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph, the son of Heli, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melchi, the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph, the son of Mattathias, the son of Amos, the son of Nahum, the son of Esli, the son of Naggai, the son of Maath, the son of Mattathias, the son of Semein, the son of Joseph, the son of Judah, the son of Joanan, the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, the son of Neri, the son of Melchi, the son of Addi, the son of Cosam, the son of Elmodam, the son of Er, the son of Jose, the son of Eliezer, the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Simeon, the son of Judah, the son of Joseph, the son of Jonan, the sonof Eliakim, the son of Melea, the son of Menan, the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan, the son of David, the son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Boaz, the son of Salmon, the son of Nahshon, the son of Amminadab, the son of Aram, the son of Hezron, the son of Perez, the son of Judah, the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor, the son of Serug, the son of Reu, the son of Peleg, the son of Eber, the son of Shelah, the son of Cainan, the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech, the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalaleel, the son of Cainan, the son of Enos, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

      Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness for forty days, being tempted by the devil. He ate nothing in those days. Afterward, when they were completed, he was hungry. The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread." Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.'" The devil, leading him up on a high mountain, showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. The devil said to him, "I will give you all this authority, and their glory, for it has been delivered to me; and I give it to whomever I want. If you therefore will worship before me, it will all be yours." Jesus answered him, "Get behind me Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and you shall serve him only.'" He led him to Jerusalem, and set him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, cast yourself down from here, for it is written, 'He will put his angels in charge of you, to guard you;' and, 'On their hands they will bear you up, lest perhaps you dash your foot against a stone.'" Jesus answering, said to him, "It has been said, 'You shall not tempt the Lord your God.'" When the devil had completed every temptation, he departed from him

      until another time.

      Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee, and news about him spread through all the surrounding area. He taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.

      Wisdom

      He came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up.

      He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

      The book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him.

      He opened the book, and found the place where it was written, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed, and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."

      [By reading from the story statement of the Story section thru the wisdom statement of the Wisdom section, you should be able to see how the wisdom statement gives specific meaning to the story statement:

      The story statement of the Story section ('it happened, when all the people were baptized, Jesus also had been baptized, and was praying. The sky was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended on him in a bodily form') ('He opened the book, and found the place where it was written, The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed, and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord') The wisdom statement of the Wisdom section]

      Appropriating the Wisdom

      He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down.

      The eyes of all in the synagogue were fastened on him. He began to speak

      to them, "Today,

      this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

      ['This Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing,' is why we believe, 'He opened the book, and found the place where it was written, The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed, and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord']

      The book, The 150 Parables has the diagramed Stories of the entire four gospels-150 Stories as a parallel to their prayer book, The 150 Psalms. The second book, Another 50 Parables has an entire chapter on the infancy narratives as anticipations Stories. Remember, the diagramed Stories in their literary form show the purpose of every verse in the New Testament.

      Blessings, Michael Carrell, mikeandrewcarrell@...; www.The150Parables.com

      Michael Carrell
      e-mail: mikeandrewcarrell@...
      web: www.the150parables.com