Tying the proposed solutions together. Luke 14:1-6 and Luke 17:20-21

  • Dave Gentile
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2009
      Tying the proposed solutions to the two pericopes together. Luke 14:1-6 and Luke 17:20-21

      Here I'm continuing to try to fine tune the proposed solutions to these two pericopes, Luke 14:1-6 and Luke 17:20-21. I have a number of possible scenarios as to how an Aramaic saying behind Luke 14:1-6 resulted in the texts of Matthew and Luke. One of them is that Matthew and Luke saw very slightly different versions of the same saying list.

      Matthew had:
      "If your beast (Be'IRA) falls into a pit (BERA)",
      And Luke had:
      If your "son" (BeRA) or beast (Be'IRA) falls into a pit (BERA)"

      I note this is just one of a number of reasonable scenarios here, but if this were the best then turning to 17:20-21 I'm not sure we'd need proto-Thomas here just to explain this one small saying. Assuming Luke's version of the list was later, we could suppose this Thomas-like saying had been appended to the list before Luke got it.

      Other than at this point Thomas has the appearance of being after the synoptics. This makes me a little less comfortable with placing proto-Thomas before Luke, although I'm still comfortable with it being contemporary with John.

      The question is, do we really need two separate sayings sources behind Luke, or will one do? I don't think it is very reasonable to put the Thomas saying in the original saying list which has a very Matthian character, so if Luke and Matthew had identical lists, then I'd place the Thomas saying in a separate list. On the other hand, if there has been enough time for the list contents to drift a bit, then who knows what might have snuck in, certainly one Thomas-like saying would be a possibility.

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, IL