The NEW gospels.net (and the Gospel of Thomas Resource Center)

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2009
      Hi Bruce-

      Yes, I was going to post about the launch of gospels.net to this e-list but couldn't decide whether it was relevant or not so I didn't (at least I thought I didn't, but apparently I still sent a blank message).

      Anyway, since the group has been discussing Thomas, and you already posted the URL (and no, I do not mind at all your giving the URL out at all :-), I figured I'd post the original message I posted to the gthomas group here as well. I hope that is alright. Apologies for cross posting.

      Thanks,
      Andrew Bernhard
      gospels.net

      Hello gthomas group-

      I just wanted to announce that I have officially relaunched gospels.net. As many of you know, I've been running this site since the late 1990s, but I have now completely redesigned the site so I that I can bring you the latest news about early Christian gospels not ultimately included in the New Testament.

      The URL is (obviously): www.gospels.net. It is now "an online resource dedicated to the Gospel of Thomas and other early Christian gospels (see the list of gospels that will be dealt with on the site below). The design is straightforward. It includes a blog, which will focus on providing the latest news relevant to the study of early Christian gospels not included in the New Testament. It also includes three web pages, which I have labeled "resource centers."

      Each resource center provides extensive lists of helpful online and offline resources. These lists aren't intended to be exhaustive. Instead, I want to focus on highlighting top-quality websites, blogs, books, and articles that deal with the pertinent gospels and related subjects. I will ultimately be providing a summary of the nature of each offline resource, effectively creating a select annotated bibliography for each of the different gospels (but this will some time since I've already got nearly 100 bibliographic entries posted).

      I'm reasonably certain that the Gospel of Thomas Resource Center will be of greatest interest to members of this e-list. It's located at: www.gospels.net/thomas. I have already posted notes about the extant manuscripts that contain parts of the Gospel of Thomas, listed the various websites dealing with the Gospel of Thomas (there are painfully few), and created a preliminary bibliography of the most important "Accounts of Manuscript Discoveries," "Ancient Language Editions," "Scholarly Commentaries," and "Devotional Literature." On Monday, I made the first update to the Thomas Resource Center, uploading a first-hand account of the discovery of the Oxyrhynchus Papyri (which gave us the three Greek fragments of the Gospel of Thomas) and the first modern editions of Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 1, 654, and 655. I also uploaded scans of images of the three Greek manuscripts, annotated on the side so you can see where each saying begins. You can now follow direct links to any manuscript page (Coptic or Greek) from the resource center. Here's the link to the blog post describing the updates: http://www.gospels.net/2009/06/08/new-thomas-resources/

      There's much more to say about the new site. I'm very excited about it. In a lot of ways, it is the project born out of the discussion I started last summer about whether the e-lists were dying. I've come to the conclusion that some sort of symbiotic relationship between the e-lists and the blogosphere needs to be formed, and I hope my blog can be a part of that. I'm sure I'll be discussing this with other members of this list soon. :-)

      Anyway, as I say on the site, "gospels.net is (and always will be) a work in progress." I'd definitely be eager to hear any suggestions about how I might make the site even more useful or any recommendations about important Thomas articles/books that I've overlooked in my preliminary bibliography.

      Best,
      Andrew Bernhard
      gospels.net

      p.s. Gospels.net is currently set up to deal with the following ancient texts: Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Judas, Gospel of Mary, Gospel of Peter, Unknown Gospel (Egerton Papyrus 2), Oxyrhynchus Parchment 840, Jewish Christian Gospels (Ebionites, Nazareans, and Hebrews), Secret Mark, Infancy Gospel of Thomas, and Infancy Gospel of James.

      p.p.s. I also want to commend Mike Grondin (www.geocities.com/Athens/9068/x_transl.htm), Paterson Brown (www.metalog.org), and Sytze van der Laan (www.agraphos.com/thomas/bibliography) for their very helpful sites on the Gospel of Thomas. I've done my best to highlight your invaluable contributions to the online community.