Re: Two "L" passages

  • Dave Gentile
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2009
      Chuck,

      Just a brief P.S.

      You wrote:

      Lk omits the "What defiles a person?" passage in Mk and Mt, in which Mk
      notes, "(Thus he declared all foods clean)."

      Dave:

      I'd say that it is omitted because Luke does not have this in his older copy of Mark. Plus he is not concerned with transmitting Matthew's material if it is not in his list of sayings. So, this really does not say much about his attitude towards the Pharisee's interpretation of the law. And Luke does drop Matthew's "not a jot of the law will disappear", so maybe he is not completely neutral on the question. (Although I still would not expect it to be a burning issue at this late date).

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, IL