Thomas 1-12 (DeConnick)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2009
      To: GPG
      Cc: Synoptic
      On: Thomas 1-12 (DeConnick)
      From: Bruce

      I had hinted that another view might be taken of Thomas 1-12 (to mention no
      other segments) as analyzed by April DeConnick in her 2006 book. Here, for
      consecutive inspection, from that book, is the text of her "kernel" layer
      for the first of the five Speeches into which she finds that Thomas as a
      whole is divided, plus the beginning of her Second Speech.

      ---------------FROM DeCONNICK 2006------------

      THE KERNEL GOSPEL OF THOMAS

      2.1. Speech One: Eschatological Urgency

      (2). Jesus said, Whoever seeks should not cease seeking until he finds. And
      when he finds, he will be amazed. And when he is amazed, he will be a king.
      And once he is a king, he will rest.

      (4.2-3). For many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.

      (5). Jesus said, Understand what is in front of you, and what is hidden from
      you will be revealed to you. For there is nothing hidden that will not be
      manifested.

      (6.2-3). Jesus said, Do not tell lies, and what you hate, do not do.

      (8). And he said, The human being is like a wise fisherman who cast his net
      into the sea. He drew it up from the sea full of small fish. From among them
      he found a fine large fish. The wise fisherman cast all of the small fish
      back into the sea and chose the large fish without difficulty. Whoever has
      ears to hear should listen.

      (9). Jesus said, Look! The sower went out. He filled his hand with seeds. He
      cast them. Some fell on the road. The birds came and gathered them up.
      Others fell on the rock and did not take root in the earth or put forth
      ears. And others fell among thorns. They choked the seeds and worms ate
      them. And others fell on the good earth, and it produced good fruit. It
      yielded sixty per measure and a hundred twenty per measure.

      (10). Jesus said, I have cast fire on the world. And look! I am guarding it
      until it blazes.

      (11.1). Jesus said, This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will
      pass away.

      (14.4). When you enter any district and walk around the countryside, if they
      take you in, whatever they serve you, eat! The people among them who are
      sick, heal!

      (15). Jesus said, When you see the one who was not born of woman, fall down
      on your face and worship him. That one is your Father.

      (16.1-3). Jesus said, Perhaps people think it is peace that I have come to
      cast upon the world. And they do not know it is division that I have come to
      cast upon the earth - fire, sword, war! For there will be five (people) in a
      house. There will be three people against two, and two against three, father
      against son, and son against father.

      2.2 Speech Two: Eschatological Challenges

      (17). Jesus said, I will give you what no eye has seen, what no ear has
      heard, what no hand has touched, and what has not arisen in the human mind.

      (20.2-4). He said to them, The Kingdom is like a mustard seed, smaller than
      all seeds. But when it falls on cultivated soil, it puts forth a large
      branch and becomes a shelter for birds of the sky.

      (21.5). If the owner of a house knows that a thief is coming, he will keep
      watch before he arrives. He will not allow him to break into his house, part
      of his estate, to steal his furnishings.

      [this Second Speech concludes with Sayings 30-36; the Third Speech begins
      with Saying 38.1, followed by 39-42, and so on to 58 and 61.1]