Re: [Synoptic-L] Sources for Luke

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2009

      Great point.  That's why I try to call the double tradition the double tradition, and not Q, unless I am referring to the hypothetical source of the double tradition.

      Chuck

      From: Bruce

      DAVE (in the middle of another conversation) : In both hypotheses Luke has
      his own creativity (we both agree this source exists, I assume) to draw from
      in addition to Mark and Mt-or-Q.

      BRUCE: Just a suggestion on strategy of statement. I don't think it helps to
      call Luke's original material, whether or not drawn from his own
      "creativity, " a "source." Why? Because conversations on this topic have an
      established meaning for "source" - it is a previous written document by
      somebody else (or its "oral" functional equivalent). The basic question, as
      far as I have observed, is in this form: Did he have a source or did he make
      it up? I think it helps the discourse (however the current one may come out)
      to keep those answers separate.

      Is the so-called L material external to Luke, or internal? Only in the
      former case does current usage seem to countenance calling it a "source." I
      guess I would tend to keep to current usage.