Re: [Synoptic-L] Mark and Pauline Teaching

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
      Rick,

      If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New Testament?_.

      Chuck

      Richard wrote:

      I am sorry but there is no way one can
      logically avoid the relationship between the Gospel of
      Mark and the apostle Paul as I see it.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
        Chuck Jones wrote:

        > Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
        > another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
        > Testament?_.

        A bit too edgy for my taste and tainted by some question begging
        assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
        consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
        of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

        Yours,

        Jeffrey

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
          Jeffery-

          Could you be a little more explicit about your opinion of Mack:

          "A bit too edgy for my taste...."

          Thanks,

          Rick Hubbard
          Humble Maine Woodsman

          > Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
          > another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
          > Testament?_.

          and tainted by some question begging
          assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
          consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
          of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Chicago, Illinois
          e-mail jgibson000@...

          Synoptic-L homepage: http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Jeffrey B. Gibson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
            Rick Hubbard wrote:
             Jeffery-

            Could you be a little more explicit about your opinion of Mack:

            "A bit too edgy for my taste...."

            Claremont skepticism run wild -- or at least that was my impression when I looked at it years ago.

            Jeffrey

            --
            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

          • Stephen C. Carlson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
              At 03:07 PM 7/8/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
              >Chuck Jones wrote:
              >> Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
              >> another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
              >> Testament?_.
              >
              >A bit too edgy for my taste and tainted by some question begging
              >assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
              >consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
              >of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

              See also Joel Marcus, "Mark--Interpreter of Paul," NTS 46 (2000): 473-487.
              Here's the abstract:

              |Claiming that Mark is a Paulinist does not require that he agree with
              |Paul about everything, and plausible reasons can be advanced for a later
              |Paulinist wanting to write the story of the earthly Jesus. Martin Werner's
              |assertion that the agreements between Mark and Paul reflect general early
              |Christian viewpoints is not valid with regard to the theology of the cross,
              |which was a controversial Pauline emphasis and a stress that the later
              |Gospels attenuated in editing Mark. Contrary to Werner, Mark and Paul
              |agree in ascribing Jesus' death to a combination of human and demonic
              |opponents.

              See also M. D. Goulder, "A Pauline in a Jacobite Church" in THE FOUR GOSPELS:
              1992 (Van Segbroeck et al., eds.; BETL 100; Leuven: University Press, 1992):
              2:859-75.

              Stephen Carlson
              --
              Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...