Re: [Synoptic-L] Synoptic Constraints

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
      To: Synoptic
      In Response, I Guess, to: Chuck Jones
      On: Communication
      From: Bruce

      CHUCK: What I would enjoy doing is have a conversation in which our word
      counts were roughly equal,

      BRUCE: Sounds great, Chuck. Now all we need is a Synoptic problem which can
      be solved in one sentence. Let me know if you find one.

      CHUCK: . . . and you were as interested in my perspectives as you are your
      own.

      BRUCE: If anybody on this list has spent more of their own time on Chuck's
      exciting new concept "Synoptic Constraints," alias "Synoptic Process," than
      I have, let them raise their hand. It's hardly my fault that, when at last
      tracked to its lair, that exciting new concept proved to be less than had
      been initially hoped for it, or that it, once reduced to its essence, namely
      the passage of time, it led as readily in my direction as in Chuck's. Or
      maybe even a little more readily.

      I haven't arrived at my present opinion on these things without considering
      various suggestions and objections, including some presented on this list
      over the years. If I like that much-studied and much-reconsidered opinion,
      it is because it has proved, in practice, to have more explanatory virtues,
      and fewer scenario shortcomings, than any alternate model of which I am
      aware.

      Thanks to a recent suggestion by Jack Kilmon, which I recognized as superior
      to my own previous take on a particular word in Mark, my working
      hypothetical model of Mark is (as near as I can tell) a little better right
      now than it was a week ago. So it goes. If I can make an equivalent
      statement next week, then this week will not have been a total loss either.
      Which would be terrific.