Re: [Synoptic-L] Synoptic Constraints

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009

      What I would enjoy doing is have a conversation in which our word counts were roughly equal, and you were as interested in my perspectives as you are your own.

      _______________________

      Bruce wrote:

      I am sorry you don't care to be shown in any detail how the passage of time could very naturally produce just the kind of narrative inconcinnity and theological mixture that we find in gMark.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
        To: Synoptic
        In Response, I Guess, to: Chuck Jones
        On: Communication
        From: Bruce

        CHUCK: What I would enjoy doing is have a conversation in which our word
        counts were roughly equal,

        BRUCE: Sounds great, Chuck. Now all we need is a Synoptic problem which can
        be solved in one sentence. Let me know if you find one.

        CHUCK: . . . and you were as interested in my perspectives as you are your
        own.

        BRUCE: If anybody on this list has spent more of their own time on Chuck's
        exciting new concept "Synoptic Constraints," alias "Synoptic Process," than
        I have, let them raise their hand. It's hardly my fault that, when at last
        tracked to its lair, that exciting new concept proved to be less than had
        been initially hoped for it, or that it, once reduced to its essence, namely
        the passage of time, it led as readily in my direction as in Chuck's. Or
        maybe even a little more readily.

        I haven't arrived at my present opinion on these things without considering
        various suggestions and objections, including some presented on this list
        over the years. If I like that much-studied and much-reconsidered opinion,
        it is because it has proved, in practice, to have more explanatory virtues,
        and fewer scenario shortcomings, than any alternate model of which I am
        aware.

        Thanks to a recent suggestion by Jack Kilmon, which I recognized as superior
        to my own previous take on a particular word in Mark, my working
        hypothetical model of Mark is (as near as I can tell) a little better right
        now than it was a week ago. So it goes. If I can make an equivalent
        statement next week, then this week will not have been a total loss either.
        Which would be terrific.