Mark and Pauline Teaching

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
      Chuck wrot:

      Rick,

      This is a long, detailed topic, but Mark is not
      especially Pauline in its content or theological
      emphasis. I recommend the relevant sections of Burton
      Mack's _Who Wrote the New Testament?_ for a
      comprehensive examination of this.

      I beg do differ with you on this point. The influence
      of Pauline teaching on the Gospel of Mark is evident
      on every page of the text and there have been those
      throught the history of New Testament studies that
      have made this claim. G Volkmar, B.W. Bacon and Alfred
      Loisy to name a few. These men were correct in
      associating Mark with the Apostle Paul. Just the
      Markan presentation of Peter alone is a reflection of
      the Galatians epistle and Paul's attitude toward Peter
      which is that he was a hypocrite. I would contend that
      Mark is the Only one of the four Gopsels that has any
      real connection to Paul. Paul would never have
      condoned the birth stories and genealogies that appear
      in Matthew and Luke, and only Paul has the theology of
      suffering to the point of death for the sake of the
      Gospel in writing prior to the four Gospels we have
      today. I am sorry but there is no way one can
      logically avoid the relationship between the Gospel of
      Mark and the apostle Paul as I see it.

      thank you for your comments

      Rick

      Chuck

      rickr wrote:
      Unlike the text of Mark which is Pauline in content,
      no one had an
      interest in changing Luke's text, which represents one
      of the
      factions Mark warned against.

      Rick

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
        Rick,

        If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New Testament?_.

        Chuck

        Richard wrote:

        I am sorry but there is no way one can
        logically avoid the relationship between the Gospel of
        Mark and the apostle Paul as I see it.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
          Chuck Jones wrote:

          > Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
          > another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
          > Testament?_.

          A bit too edgy for my taste and tainted by some question begging
          assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
          consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
          of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
            Jeffery-

            Could you be a little more explicit about your opinion of Mack:

            "A bit too edgy for my taste...."

            Thanks,

            Rick Hubbard
            Humble Maine Woodsman

            > Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
            > another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
            > Testament?_.

            and tainted by some question begging
            assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
            consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
            of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

            Yours,

            Jeffrey

            --
            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            Chicago, Illinois
            e-mail jgibson000@...

            Synoptic-L homepage: http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Jeffrey B. Gibson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
              Rick Hubbard wrote:
               Jeffery-

              Could you be a little more explicit about your opinion of Mack:

              "A bit too edgy for my taste...."

              Claremont skepticism run wild -- or at least that was my impression when I looked at it years ago.

              Jeffrey

              --
              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
              1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

            • Stephen C. Carlson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
                At 03:07 PM 7/8/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
                >Chuck Jones wrote:
                >> Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
                >> another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
                >> Testament?_.
                >
                >A bit too edgy for my taste and tainted by some question begging
                >assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
                >consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
                >of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

                See also Joel Marcus, "Mark--Interpreter of Paul," NTS 46 (2000): 473-487.
                Here's the abstract:

                |Claiming that Mark is a Paulinist does not require that he agree with
                |Paul about everything, and plausible reasons can be advanced for a later
                |Paulinist wanting to write the story of the earthly Jesus. Martin Werner's
                |assertion that the agreements between Mark and Paul reflect general early
                |Christian viewpoints is not valid with regard to the theology of the cross,
                |which was a controversial Pauline emphasis and a stress that the later
                |Gospels attenuated in editing Mark. Contrary to Werner, Mark and Paul
                |agree in ascribing Jesus' death to a combination of human and demonic
                |opponents.

                See also M. D. Goulder, "A Pauline in a Jacobite Church" in THE FOUR GOSPELS:
                1992 (Van Segbroeck et al., eds.; BETL 100; Leuven: University Press, 1992):
                2:859-75.

                Stephen Carlson
                --
                Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...