A bit more on Streeter

  • gentile_dave@emc.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2009
      Streeter has a proposed text of Mark as it stood before the eyes of
      Luke, and now so do I. Streeter has everything through the middle of
      6:47, picking up again in the middle of 8:27.

      In my proposal early Mark has everything through 6:44. It omits the full
      sentence 6:45. It then has the full sentence 6:46, and none of 6:47 (or
      at least no important words). I then pick up again at 8:22. All full
      sentences. (If a word or two of 6:47 is included, then they join to the
      beginning of 8:22, still forming a full sentence).

      My version:

      6:44 Those who had eaten the loaves numbered 5000. 6:46 After saying
      goodbye to them he
      went off into the hills to pray. (Perhaps a transition word or two like
      6:47 'That evening') 8:22 They came to Bethsaida and
      some people brought him a blind man...(all text 8:22-8:27 included
      here)... 8:27 Jesus and his disciples left for the villages around C.P.
      On the way he put this question to his disciples, "Who do people say I
      am?"

      The only connection between Luke and Mark 6:47 that I can see is the
      word MONOS (alone). But the word is found in Matthew to describe Jesus
      praying here, and the idea that he was alone could have been picked up
      by Luke in this way. (In addition this seems to be the default state of
      Jesus when praying anyway).

      By omitting 6:45 where Streeter does not, I have omitted a reference to
      Bethsaida, but then I have included a different reference to it by
      including 8:22, thus the early text of Mark will have this location
      available for use by both the editor of Mark, and by Luke.

      In my version Luke then omits most of 8:22 through to the beginning of
      8:27 by choice, not by force as in Streeter's idea, since Luke (I
      propose) does not like the material component healing, and since he then
      has too many locations to deal with, he then omits the reference to
      Caesarea of Philip, and being on the way to there. Luke then rejoins
      Mark in the middle of 8:27 right where the action starts after having
      altered the setting.

      So I don't see fragmentary sentence joined to a fragmentary sentence. My
      version of mark has full sentences and full pericopes. Luke uses all of
      Mark 6:44 and 6:46, both full sentences, and then picks up 8:47 in the
      middle, just in time for the action after having altered the location
      and setting. He also pulls the MONOS idea from Matthew's version.

      This does not then require a damaged text. Rather the actions of a later
      editor adding text here can be seen.

      Dave Gentile

      Riverside, IL