Re: [Synoptic-L] Matthew and "Q"

  • Dave Gentile
    Message 1 of 34 , May 15, 2009
      Ron:

      > Dave,
      >
      > What you propose is clearly not impossible. But it is certainly not as good
      > as the original. What you present here is a brief general call to
      > repentance, followed by scenarios of people eager to repent. In our extant
      > Luke there is a warning of wrath and fire, so that by verse 10 one can sense
      > the crowds feeling guilty and ready to make amends. It parallels an
      > evangelistic meeting where there is a lengthy build-up of emotion before a
      > challenge to commitment. Luke was a good storyteller!

      Dave:

      'Better', is a subjective judgment. Personally I'd prefer a version without the fire and brimstone, but that's just my subjective judgment.

      Consistency, and sticking with a theme is a less subjective measure.

      Ron:

      > But there remains the jump in the opposite direction, between verses 3 & 4.
      > In the extant text vv. 4-6 represent a temporary departure from the theme of
      > repentance so that Luke can portray the Jewish scriptures as hinting at the
      > salvation of the Gentiles (v.6).

      I really don't see this as much of a jump, if any. v3 mentions forgiveness (group not named), and the quote from Isaiah's 'punchline' is about salvation (for all). "Forgiveness -> salvation" seems like theme continuity to me.

      I've not had a chance to look at the rest yet. Probably Tuesday, if not before then.

      Dave
    • Dave Gentile
      Message 34 of 34 , May 15, 2009
        Ron: