[Synoptic-L] Re: [GPG] Stats: for "M" and "Q"

  • Dave Gentile
    Message 1 of 34 , May 12, 2009
      Just one addition to this. I think in the process of developing the study and refining the method we certainly did see some odd results. These were used to help refine the method. While we started with correlation, other things like principle component analysis were tried and I finally settled on the current method as the most appropriate. Currently looking at the final set of results I don't find any of them to be particularly odd. Although I suppose if one is a 2SH partisan then the result that tends to contradict it is odd. Other than that all the results support Mark as the first gospel, Matthew as the 2nd, and Luke as the third. And given that others have come to that conclusion without all the math, these results are reassuringly predictable.

      Dave

      --- In Synoptic@yahoogroups.com, "David @ Comcast" <davidinglis2@...> wrote:

      > Very briefly, Dave Gentile put in some valuable work on the HHB concordance
      > data in 2001/2002, which was discussed on Synoptic-L. Initially he used
      > correlations to find stylistic similarities between HHB text categories.
      > However, although some useful similarities were found, there were various
      > 'odd' results, and for some people on Synoptic-L the meaning behind the
      > results was not explained to their satisfaction.
    • Dave Gentile
      Message 34 of 34 , May 15, 2009
        Ron:

        > Dave,
        >
        > What you propose is clearly not impossible. But it is certainly not as good
        > as the original. What you present here is a brief general call to
        > repentance, followed by scenarios of people eager to repent. In our extant
        > Luke there is a warning of wrath and fire, so that by verse 10 one can sense
        > the crowds feeling guilty and ready to make amends. It parallels an
        > evangelistic meeting where there is a lengthy build-up of emotion before a
        > challenge to commitment. Luke was a good storyteller!

        Dave:

        'Better', is a subjective judgment. Personally I'd prefer a version without the fire and brimstone, but that's just my subjective judgment.

        Consistency, and sticking with a theme is a less subjective measure.

        Ron:

        > But there remains the jump in the opposite direction, between verses 3 & 4.
        > In the extant text vv. 4-6 represent a temporary departure from the theme of
        > repentance so that Luke can portray the Jewish scriptures as hinting at the
        > salvation of the Gentiles (v.6).

        I really don't see this as much of a jump, if any. v3 mentions forgiveness (group not named), and the quote from Isaiah's 'punchline' is about salvation (for all). "Forgiveness -> salvation" seems like theme continuity to me.

        I've not had a chance to look at the rest yet. Probably Tuesday, if not before then.

        Dave