Re: [Synoptic-L] RE: [GPG] Matthew and "Q"

    Message 1 of 34 , May 11 7:19 AM
      David, Since Mt used 90% of Mk while Lk used only 60%, your item number 2 can be explained this way:  Mt reworked his sources less than Lk, and the M material in question is simply parts of Q that Lk chose not to include.  So the "same author" is the author of Q.

      ______________________________

      David Inglis wrote:

      I would say there are strong statistical indications that:

      1. The material unique to each of Matthew, Mark, and Luke was written
      by different people.

      2. The unique material in Matthew was written by the same person who
      wrote the material common to Matthew and Luke that is not shared with Mark.

    • Dave Gentile
      Message 34 of 34 , May 15 7:32 PM
        Ron:

        > Dave,
        >
        > What you propose is clearly not impossible. But it is certainly not as good
        > as the original. What you present here is a brief general call to
        > repentance, followed by scenarios of people eager to repent. In our extant
        > Luke there is a warning of wrath and fire, so that by verse 10 one can sense
        > the crowds feeling guilty and ready to make amends. It parallels an
        > evangelistic meeting where there is a lengthy build-up of emotion before a
        > challenge to commitment. Luke was a good storyteller!

        Dave:

        'Better', is a subjective judgment. Personally I'd prefer a version without the fire and brimstone, but that's just my subjective judgment.

        Consistency, and sticking with a theme is a less subjective measure.

        Ron:

        > But there remains the jump in the opposite direction, between verses 3 & 4.
        > In the extant text vv. 4-6 represent a temporary departure from the theme of
        > repentance so that Luke can portray the Jewish scriptures as hinting at the
        > salvation of the Gentiles (v.6).

        I really don't see this as much of a jump, if any. v3 mentions forgiveness (group not named), and the quote from Isaiah's 'punchline' is about salvation (for all). "Forgiveness -> salvation" seems like theme continuity to me.

        I've not had a chance to look at the rest yet. Probably Tuesday, if not before then.

        Dave