Re: [Synoptic-L] Meier v4

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2009
      Jim,

      Thanks for the extra information; so much for my habit of reading books from
      the end forward. Meier himself describes the latter portion of his
      groundplan in this way (his p1):

      "At the end of Volume Three of A Marginal Jew, I listed . . . the four final
      enigmas that remained to be pondered in our quest for the historical Jesus.
      These four questions, which seem to pose intractable problems for any
      quester, are the riddle of Jesus and the Law, the riddle-speech of Jesus'
      parables, the riddle-speech of Jesus' self-designations (or "titles"), and
      the ultimate riddle of Jesus' death. Having examined in the second half of
      Volume Three the legal positions that distinguished the Pharisees,
      Sadducees, and Essenes from one another and from Jesus, I think it logical
      to take up as the first enigma the question of Jesus and the Law. This will
      be the focus of Volume Four, while the other three enigmas will be treated
      in Volume Five."

      Separately from the question of Meier and his series, I continue to suggest
      that the enigmas largely de-enigmatize themselves if we take the evidence in
      the chronological order of its composition. Reckoning also with the fact,
      widely acknowledged in certain quarters as respects certain passages, but
      not so far consistently acted upon, that Mark, the earliest Gospel, is
      itself a stratified text, among whose layers also, early material is perhaps
      more fruitfully distinguished from later material.

      But that is another note, perhaps for another day. For the moment, I stand
      corrected, and gratefully so.