Re: [Synoptic-L] Mark 1:40-45

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2005
      At 02:00 PM 8/20/2005 -0400, E Bruce Brooks wrote:
      >How long does it take to read, in Greek, the text of Mark 1:40-45, the
      >Healing of the Leper? I don't mean the perfunctory, get-through-it sort of
      >reading that we and the airline stewardesses all know and do, but a reading
      >sonorous enough to be impressive, and slow enough to carry the full
      >information content to someone who is depending on the words to get the
      >story (in any congregation, no matter how well established, there is always
      >going to be somebody who is hearing it for the first time).

      For what it's worth, it took me just over two minutes (2:02) to read
      it aloud.

      Stephen CArlson

      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2005
        To: Synoptic
        On: Mk 1:40-45 Tempo
        From: Bruce

        I am grateful for Stephen's prompt response to my earlier query on Markan
        tempo, and have added it to my file of data. The problem with putting that
        response on-line is that other potential responders may be influenced in
        their own answers, or deterred from responding altogether (in the perception
        of at least this outsider, and exceptis excipiendis, NT people don't greatly
        like to disagree with each other). To help balance things out, I might say
        that the range of times so far received ranges from x to 4x, with nothing
        much in the middle. So much (I guess) for the concept of the standard
        deviation.

        I will know more with more reported readings, and I repeat that all reported
        times are welcome, and will serve the cause of science. As in a previous
        experiment of analogous kind (but in a different field), it is my intention,
        in any imaginable future publication, to acknowledge the help of individuals
        by name, but not to associate them with particular timings, thus at the same
        time preserving privacy at the point where it counts. All risks of
        interpretation will be borne, as is only right and proper, by yours
        sincerely,