Mark 1:40-45

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2005
      To: Synoptic
      On: Mark 1:40-45 (Tempo)
      From: Bruce

      I had earlier addressed this question to a few individuals, thinking not to
      bother the many with what I took to be a straightforward matter, but it has
      proved to be not so straightforward. One of my respondents asked why I had
      not put the question to the whole list, and it now seems that this may,
      after all, be the better suggestion. Accordingly:

      How long does it take to read, in Greek, the text of Mark 1:40-45, the
      Healing of the Leper? I don't mean the perfunctory, get-through-it sort of
      reading that we and the airline stewardesses all know and do, but a reading
      sonorous enough to be impressive, and slow enough to carry the full
      information content to someone who is depending on the words to get the
      story (in any congregation, no matter how well established, there is always
      going to be somebody who is hearing it for the first time).

      Answers should probably be sent to me privately, rather than cumbering the
      attention of the whole Synoptic community, unless someone wants to add an
      observation of more general interest and send it to the list. Either way,
      thanks in advance.

      Research Professor of Chinese
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2005
        At 02:00 PM 8/20/2005 -0400, E Bruce Brooks wrote:
        >How long does it take to read, in Greek, the text of Mark 1:40-45, the
        >Healing of the Leper? I don't mean the perfunctory, get-through-it sort of
        >reading that we and the airline stewardesses all know and do, but a reading
        >sonorous enough to be impressive, and slow enough to carry the full
        >information content to someone who is depending on the words to get the
        >story (in any congregation, no matter how well established, there is always
        >going to be somebody who is hearing it for the first time).

        For what it's worth, it took me just over two minutes (2:02) to read
        it aloud.

        Stephen CArlson

        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2005
          To: Synoptic
          On: Mk 1:40-45 Tempo
          From: Bruce

          I am grateful for Stephen's prompt response to my earlier query on Markan
          tempo, and have added it to my file of data. The problem with putting that
          response on-line is that other potential responders may be influenced in
          their own answers, or deterred from responding altogether (in the perception
          of at least this outsider, and exceptis excipiendis, NT people don't greatly
          like to disagree with each other). To help balance things out, I might say
          that the range of times so far received ranges from x to 4x, with nothing
          much in the middle. So much (I guess) for the concept of the standard
          deviation.

          I will know more with more reported readings, and I repeat that all reported
          times are welcome, and will serve the cause of science. As in a previous
          experiment of analogous kind (but in a different field), it is my intention,
          in any imaginable future publication, to acknowledge the help of individuals
          by name, but not to associate them with particular timings, thus at the same
          time preserving privacy at the point where it counts. All risks of
          interpretation will be borne, as is only right and proper, by yours
          sincerely,