RE: [Synoptic-L] Jesus and disciples

  • David @ Comcast
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 14, 2009
      Chuck Jones wrote:

      "I fielded a brief, failed effort to suggest to the group that Mk used
      sources rather than wrote from scratch"

      I'm not sure what kind of sources you are referring to, but when you later
      refer to "editorial/authorial choices and goals" then this sounds to me as
      though you are referring specifically to written sources. If so, then there
      is a reasonable assumption that Mt and Lk were written by people who had
      access to at least some of the same sources. In this scenario then the
      synoptic authors could have made different "editorial/authorial choices and
      goals" in the way you describe.

      However, I see no reason to restrict aMk to using only written sources. If
      he had access to verbal sources as well (whether eyewitness or not) then in
      my mind it's quite likely that the "almost cinematic details" are as likely
      to be evidence of verbal transmission as they are evidence of different
      editorial/authorial decisions.

      David Inglis

      Lafayette, CA, 94549

      _____