Re: [Synoptic-L] Kingdom of God Kingdom of my Father

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2009
      Jeffrey asks whether "Kingdom of my father" might
      have a different reference from "Kingdom of God".
      Matthew 26.29 "until that day when I drink it new
      with you in the kingdom of my father" //
      Mark "until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God" //
      Luke "until the kingdom of God comes"

      Using different assumptions in turn:
      a) Mat adapts Mark. Evidence: texts of Matt normally offer "of heaven",
      occasionally "of God", here "of my father". Yes it is puzzling
      that Matthew should switch to a different alternative when avoiding
      just one more direct reference to God sitting in his source.

      b) Ignoring Mark - just looking at Matthew - again it doesn't
      look much different from a) except that we wouldn't know what
      any source might have had.

      Lohmeyer notes at this point the almost Johannine usage
      of "My father , I and you"

      Where else are kingdom and father in proximity? 1Cor 15.24
      is one such place. Are there others? Would this offer any
      hints as to why Matthew writes what he did?
      Lk.22.29 "as my father has
      allocated to me the/a kingdom" is much
      more crucial as it shares a similar context of
      eating and drinking.

      Then there is the issue of "come" in proximity to kingdom
      in Mat 6.10. We need to bear in mind that Lk 22.18 has
      the same aorist stem, Mk 11.10
      the participle of the (different) present stem, and other words
      with similar but not identical meanings are at Mat.10.7 and
      12.28 - on the latter verb I think Caragounis has some interesting
      comment in his recent tome on the Greek language.
      Surely we need to take account of related verb stems, and of
      other verbs with similar but not identical sense.

      Somewhat more tangentially on coming and going is
      the variation between the kingdom coming, or arriving, or being near,
      and people coming or going or entering into the kingdom. Is this
      variation of imagery the kind of fluidity we should actually
      expect in texts full of symbols, metaphors and images where
      divergent perspectives even turn up in close proximity?

      David M.

      def