Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Jesus Genealogies

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2005
      Leonard,

      I do believe Lk's decisions are based on literary and theological goals, and are not arbitrary.  In our dialogue over the last couple of days I've become convinced that Luke deviated from the Solomonic line in I Chron and Mt to redirect his readers away from the traditional expectation that the Messiah would overthrow Rome and re-establish the (earthly, political) Solomonic kindgom.  Luke wanted his readers to see the church as the new kingdom.

      Chuck

      Leonard wrote:
      The only thing I would caution is against assuming that Luke's undoubted creativity here is totally arbitrary, untied to any "justification", even if his "reasons" would seem uncompelling to us. There is just too much we don't know about how the gospels were composed.

      http://mail.yahoo.com