RE: [XTalk] OT: What "those in the pew" think they are praying for

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2009
      Jeffrey:

      Comments below. And based on lots of teaching of the Lord's Prayer. And I might note most recently in a highly educated congregation where I asked, as I often do, what the first three petitions mean:

      >What they think they are praying for when they say "May your name be
      >hallowed" is either that God will act in such a way that everyone
      >will recognize him for the holy being that he is or, working from
      >the impression that "to be hallowed" means "to be praised", that
      >all everyone, and not just Christians, will eventually give him the
      >honour and respect and the kinds of worship he deserves.

      I actually don't think most people even think it says "may your name be hallowed" They think this is a simple statement of fact. "Hallowed be thy name" means, for most, "your name is holy"

      > What they think they are praying for when they say "May your kingdom
      >come" is either a profound inner personal and individualized
      >experience of God's love, forgiveness, or empowering presence or it
      >is the hurrying of God's establishment on earth of something that
      >they have been taught properly belongs to the world's future -- a
      > promised end of all earthly misery and injustice, a reign of peace
      >and well being, the experience of heaven on earth.

      Again, I don't see most translating the KJV or RSV or NRSV to "may your kingdom come". For them the term "thy kingdom come" is either:

      a. Your kingdom is coming
      b. Your kingdom has come.

      mark

      Mark A. Matson