RE: [Synoptic-L] Theory Types

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 5, 2009
      Stephanie (sorry for the spelling of your last name):

      I included you only because earlier on this thread you commented (and I think correctly) that any solution is probably more complicated than the main theories outline. That is really what Ed Sanders said, even though he more or less leaned toward the Farrer theory among the main ones discussed. I was agreeing with you and bringing that into my response to Chuck.

      You are of course correct that Goulder was very "hardline" in his view that Luke only used Matthew (and Mark) plus scripture, and nothing else. But I think most would agree that is a "hardline" approach.

      I will let Mark Goodacre voice his opinion for himself if he wishes, but I think a central issue in Mark without Q is simply to object to Q as a major "document" that explains the similarity of Luke and Matthew. There is a wide variety of views about the nature of any sources, but I think most of us would surely agree that it is likely that Matthew and Luke used some sources. I do. I know many others do.

      Now you raise the issue of written versus oral sources... any judgment here is, of course, speculative as you suggest. I would concede it is possible that there might be written sources. But I don't think there is strong evidence for such written sources (I would be open to suggestions); it is just as likely that any additional sources that Luke and Matthew might have used would be oral. And even here we might question the degree that such sources had become "fixed" in tradition (per the form critics, with "rules" of transmission and retention), or (per Bauckham) we might have in some instances reliance on eyewitness testimony, which makes the oral source more primary than secondary.

      I don't know how one adjudicates the issue of written versus oral. Are there strong markers that might point to written sources as opposed to oral? What would those look like?

      I might note here as well that even if some sources were written, what would it look like for an author to use them? I think Robert Derrenbacker has raised some concern about some view of an author juggling little bits of written sources to be woven into a final text -- ancient writing practices apparently did not work that way.

      There are two main reasons, in my opinion, why Mark without Q theorists don't dwell on other sources:

      1. The main issue at stake right now is usually whether or not to hold to Q as the link that explains the similarity of Matthew and Luke. so other material is simply not pertinent to this debate. But that doesn't mean that theorists don't have opinions about the rest. It just means it is extraneous to the central debate.

      2. At the same time, one of the concerns many of us have about Q is the way it has turned into a vague "Quelle" into a document with citations, rescencions, etc... But hypothetical sources are just that, hypothetical. So I suspect that we shy away from discussing "that which we do not know" out of a certain natural reticence that might explain why we are suspicious of Q in the first place.

      Not sure if this helps explain certain ways of thinking. But perhaps it does. I would welcome critiques.

      Mark A. Matson
      Academic Dean
      Milligan College

      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 11, 2009