RE: [Synoptic-L] Theory Types

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 5, 2009
      Actually, Chuck, my argument was not that Mark has no sources. (though I don't think he had written sources because I think Mark is an original composition). Rather, my argument with you was primarily with your rationale, your argumentation. I did not find your reasons convincing.

      With those of the Griesbach hypothesis, my engagement turns in a very different way. While we disagree (as with my discussions with David Dungan, for instance), the basis for our disagreement was very clear.

      To be specific about what I think (and we could use that as a basis for discussion):

      1. It think Mark is an original composition based on oral sources, some of which may have been eyewitness accounts.
      2. I think Matthew used Mark, supplemented by oral sources. Maybe a written source, but if so that is unrecoverable.
      3. I think Luke used Mark and Matthew, supplemented by oral sources. And may have known and engaged John.

      To my mind (and Stephanie Fischer this may be directed to you as well), Farrer theorists do not usually dispute significant additional sources (e.g. oral traditions). And do not rule out-of-hand written sources. But there is a tendency to not rely on sources that are speculative, and especially reject a common written source that both Luke and Matthew used, since the basis for that is tenuous.

      And as Ed Sanders pointed out many years ago, the real situation is indeed probably very complex, and involves re-oralization, developing readings and liturgy in churches, etc. But that shouldn't stop us from trying to figure it out.

      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 11, 2009