Re: [Synoptic-L] Theory Types

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 4, 2009
      At 05:44 PM 2/4/2009, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
      >On Feb 4, 2009 8:45 PM, E Bruce Brooks <brooks@...> wrote:
      > >Stephen himself, on the page above cited, calls 2SH "dominant," and lists
      > >Griesbach (in America) and FGH (in England) as its main alternatives. Is
      > he,
      > >on reflection, disposed to change those characterizations?
      >
      >I wrote that over ten years ago. Since then, William Farmer and David
      >Dungan had died and Mark Goodacre moved to Duke. John Kloppenborg and
      >his colleagues have written several articles against Farrer but nothing
      >really new against Griesbach. So, I'd say that the Farrer theory has
      >become the main alternative now, even in America.

      Stephen,
      I'm not sure I understand the logic here. Is it
      * If no one's beating it anymore, then it must really be a dead horse
      * If someone is beating it, then it must be alive and therefore the
      main alternative?
      My first thought -- without thinking of the history of criticism-- was that
      if no one's arguing against Griesbach any more, then maybe Griesbach has
      become accepted.

      Perhaps a different metric is needed here.

      Bob Schacht

      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 11, 2009