Re: [Synoptic-L] SATAN

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4 2:03 PM
      Maybe for the same reason that we use "Satan" and not "devil" in liturgical texts, such as "Do you renounce Satan?"

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA

      BRUCE WROTE:

      To this, on 13 June, I added the observation that SATAN is the Semitic form,
      and asked, a propos Markan Priority: "If Mark is epitomizing Mt/Lk, why does
      he not follow their agreed usage of "devil?" Why does he Semiticize it as
      Satan?