Essential similarity of the synoptics? (was: Sources for Mark)

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
      Chuck Jones wrote:

      > ....... a significant minority of NT scholars believe that Mt came first
      > and was Mk's source (I believe there are only two passages in Mk that are not
      > also found in Mt).  That position would be ridiculous--and would never have
      > been put forward--if Mk is at a glance, obviously, not based on sources.

      Chuck, Mark et al.,

      Chuck seems here to be saying that the synoptics are superficially similar,
      and if so, then I would have to agree.

      However at a deeper literary level I can see a clear distinction.

      If we analyse the structure of the first five books of the NT, and then in
      each case measure the extent to which the author's choice of words reflects
      his structure (a task which took me many years), we find that they fall into
      two distinct categories.

      On the one hand in Mark, John and Acts the author's choice of words clearly
      reflects what I take to be the original structure (as against the various
      published attempts). On the other hand in Matthew, as in Luke, the author's
      choice of words is not so distinctive and does not clearly reflect the
      otherwise equally impressive structure. The obvious explanation that springs
      to mind is that because of the extensive use of written sources by Matthew
      and Luke, their choice of words has been significantly constrained. For me
      this is a significant indication that Mark did not make extensive use of
      written sources, and thus constitutes yet another convincing argument that
      his gospel was written first.