Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: [XTalk] Goulder and the LP

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2009
      Mark Goodacre wrote:
      > Here's Michael's summary from Midrash and Lection in Matthew, 298:
      > the Lord's Prayer did not stand in Q, M, L or oral tradition but is:
      >
      > "a prayer composed by the evangelist from the traditions of the
      > prayers of Jesus in Mark, amplified from the Exodus context of the
      > Sermon, and couched in Matthean language".
      >
      > For a brief critique of the case from the language of the prayer, see
      > my Goulder and the Gospels, 53-5; and see 19 for its context in
      > Goulder's career.
      >
      > All best
      > Mark

      Thanks for this. But I'm not concerned so much with what Goulder says
      the prayer is as I am with the reasons he has for saying that there was
      no actual prayer of Jesus that in form and wording was like what we now
      find in Mt. 6:9-13 for Matthew to reproduce.

      Is what I've written an accurate summary of what he says it was that
      led him to the conclusion that there was no prayer for Matthew to
      reproduce, accurately or otherwise?

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)