Grafton on Morton Smith

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2009
      To: Synoptic
      Re: Grafton on Morton Smith
      From: Bruce

      I am posting this query on behalf of a Sinological colleague who raised it
      on another list.

      "I am curious to learn the opinions of those concerned with New Testament
      Studies about the issues raised in the review by Anthony Grafton in The
      Nation (26 January 2009) of Morton Smith and Gershom Scholem:
      Correspondence 1945-1982, edited by Guy G. Strousma (Brill)."

      The review itself is available at:

      http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090126/grafton

      It is nothing if not wry; I would use the image of the Cheshire cat if
      Grafton had not beaten me to it. And curiously reticent, for a man who knows
      as much as Grafton does, about forgeries ancient and modern. But I too would
      like to hear the reactions of others. Responses to the original question
      will be most welcome, and I undertake herewith to pass them on to the
      questioner.