A look at J. Gibsons citations from the Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005
      And if you'd actually looked at the theme of "being
      with wild beasts and ministering angels" that appears
      and is prominent in T.Iss. 7.7,
      T.Benj. 5:2, and T. Naph. 8.4, you'd see that there
      most certainly
      **is** a point to Mark's taking it up that most
      certainly fits in with
      the Markan story of Jesus' "testing" of his
      faithfulness in the
      wilderness.

      I did not say I had read them. They were your evidence
      in contradiction. And you did not provide them for me
      to read.

      Jeffrey It would have been convenient if you had
      provided these texts, short as they are since you felt
      that consideration of them would enlighten my view of
      Mark 1:13. I must confess that huge volume is not on
      my nightstand. Since you did not provide the text
      here but only made your assertion I had to have time
      to find out, first what you were referring to, and
      what they actually said. Now here they are for
      everyone to consider. I actually found several
      passages in “Old Testament Pseudepigrapha volume I”
      that I had marked many years ago when I was in Dr.
      Charlesworth’s class on the subject on marks
      ironically enough on the same page as one of your
      cited texts.

      Iss 7:7 You do these as well my children and every
      spirit of Beliar will flee from you and no act of
      human evil will have power over you. Every wild
      creature you shall subdue so long as you have the God
      of Heaven with you and walk with all mankind in
      sincerity of heart.

      Benj 5:2 If you continue to do good, even the unclean
      spirits will flee from you and the wild animals will
      fear you.

      Naph 8:4 If you achieve the good, my children men and
      angels will bless you and God will be glorified
      through you among the gentiles. The devil will flee
      from you; wild animals will be afraid of you, and the
      angles will stand by you.

      As I said before and restate now. Exploring these
      references does nothing to advance the notion that
      Mark had them in mind at all. Conversely they do add
      weight to the notion that a faction, Jewish in nature
      is responsible for the suggested interpolation within
      the more Gentile oriented Gospel of Mark. A faction
      like that in Matthew that has Satan saying that the
      angels will bear Jesus up lest he dash his foot
      against a stone. A concept complete incongruent with
      the text of Mark where Jesus says it is in fact
      appropriate necessary to suffer.

      The dominant theme in the Testament of the Twelve
      Patriarchs, according to Dr. Charlesworth is
      “Obedience to the Law of Moses”. Now imagine that; One
      of Matthew’s important themes but absent completely
      from the Gospel of Mark.

      Again confirming that this material you cite is closer
      to the more Jewish factions of the period. The
      compiler of Matthew being one of those. The common
      thread in the three passages implies that obedience to
      God will cause wild animals and the devil to flee and
      fear you. I don’t see even the slightest hint in Mark
      in support of that theme. The wild animals are NOT
      fleeing but "with" Jesus and the Devil is not
      "fleeing" but tempting Jesus according to Mark 1:13

      These texts offer no explanation as to why I should
      consider them representative of authentic Markan
      thought and I do not so regard them in that light,
      even after reading them. Instead I think they support
      the notion that “with the wild beasts” is a pro Jewish
      interpolation of Mark’s text. Now the text are here
      for those on the list to evaluate for themselves. I
      don’t have the Greek text of these documents at my
      disposal but I would look to see if either of the
      three texts use QHRIOV. You might want to look at LXX
      73:19 Which does use the same word as Mark 1:13 and
      does appear to have a more obvious relevance.

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs