Re: [Synoptic-L] On The Earliest Markan Narrative

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 17, 2009
      Tony,

      Thanks much; that does help. But let me see if I am reading you right. You
      have Supervisory responsibilities for all 10 churches in your circuit. You
      also have Pastoral responsibilities for 5 of the churches. So all the
      regular preaching in those 5 churches is done by you. Do I correctly infer
      that in the other 5 churches, there are "local ministers" who do some of the
      preaching, but that you occasionally preach there also? And do you exert any
      supervision over the preaching that the local ministers do?

      Sorry to be slow, but the information is appreciated.

    • Tony Buglass
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 17, 2009
        I don't have to preach in all 5 churches every week - that would get a bit silly! We have local preachers - lay preachers - who take services. They are very important members of the circuit team, we couldn't function without them. They are trained and accredited by the church, and answerable to the circuit through the Local Preachers' Meeting. As superintendent, I organise the preaching rota for all the churches on a quarterly plan - churches and preachers give me their requests and availability for the period in question, and I put them together. I don't tell the preachers what to preach, they are free to select their own subject, follow the lectionary or not.

        Hope that helps,
        Cheers,
        Rev Tony Buglass
        Superintendent Minister
        Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

      • Dennis Dean Carpenter
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 18, 2009
          To say that Josephus was dependent on Mark would require some explanation. Josephus writes at length about the religious sects of Palestine. Unless one wants to speculate that the Essenes were the prototypical Christianity, we find nothing but a highly, if not completely, interpolated statement about a Jesus and a mention of the brother of Jesus. That's it.

          But, you are correct about another prototype for Josephus. Jesus son of Ananias probably had roots, according to Ted Weeden Sr, in Jeremiah, which was a huge influence on Josephus. (He considered himself a "modern day Jeremiah," it seems. The evidence is found in Wars of the Jews and in Life.) One also finds a deep connection between the gospeleers and Jeremiah. (Mark's inspiration for the narrative of the cleansing of the temple came from Jeremiah, for instance.)

          Dennis Dean Carpenter
          Dahlonega, Ga.