Re: [Synoptic-L] The Sermon on the Plain

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2008
      I have always understood Luke's title 'Sermon on the Plain' to refer to his audience.
      Mark and Matthew wrote Gospels primarily intended for the Judean members of the ecclesia. The Mountain refers to Mt Sinai where the Revelation to Moses was revealed. Jesus' sermon was meant to express fulfillment of the commandments. Luke's audience was wider, more diffuse, and directed to Gentiles and Gentile Christians. His aim was apologetic. He recognized Jesus spoke to his own peple. At the same time his words were meant for the world, according to Luke. Hence the sermon was also meant for the people "on the plain." The problem is in line with the Farrer hypothesis, which I adhere to.

      cordially

      Karel