Re: [Synoptic-L] Jeffrey's citations on wildebeasts.

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
      Jeffrey B Gibson wrote:

      >Richard Richmond wrote:
      >

      >>If we were to take a poll on this list of those who
      >>understand these references T.Iss. 7.7, T.Benj. 5:2,
      >>and T. Naph. most including myself, would not know to
      >>what you were refering?
      >>

      >I hardly think this is the case. But be that as it may, remember
      >please that this is a scholarly list. So I should hardly be faulted for
      >using here -- as you now seem to be admitting I am doing , contrary to
      >your previous claim -- ordinary scholarly conventions of citation.

      *raises hand*--- pick me, pick me- I know.....

      That said, I think it fair to say that most folk working in Synoptic
      studies would know right away what those references were, just as
      certainly as they would know what Gen 1:2 meant or Mk 1:9. They are
      standard and conventional. And important!

      Jim

      --
      D. Jim West

    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
        At 02:48 PM 8/3/2005 -0400, Jim West wrote:
        >Jeffrey B Gibson wrote:
        >>Richard Richmond wrote:
        >>>If we were to take a poll on this list of those who
        >>>understand these references T.Iss. 7.7, T.Benj. 5:2,
        >>>and T. Naph. most including myself, would not know to
        >>>what you were refering?

        I would expect active contributors to either know these references
        (to the Testaments of Issachar, Benjamin, and Naphtali, respectively)
        or know where to look them up (e.g. p. 75 in the SBL Handbook of Style,
        available on-line to members of the SBL).

        Decent English translations of these are found in Charlesworth's
        edition of the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha. Links to older
        translations are available on-line at Peter Kirby's Early Jewish
        Writings site, http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/ .

        >>I hardly think this is the case. But be that as it may, remember
        >>please that this is a scholarly list. So I should hardly be faulted for
        >>using here -- as you now seem to be admitting I am doing , contrary to
        >>your previous claim -- ordinary scholarly conventions of citation.
        >
        >*raises hand*--- pick me, pick me- I know.....
        >
        >That said, I think it fair to say that most folk working in Synoptic
        >studies would know right away what those references were, just as
        >certainly as they would know what Gen 1:2 meant or Mk 1:9. They are
        >standard and conventional. And important!

        Agreed, and--I can't believe I'm saying this--it is proper to
        use them here on Synoptic-L. I would like to suggest that any
        further administrative questions about citation be handled by
        first contacting me or one of the other moderators OFF LIST.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...