Re: [Synoptic-L] Jeffrey's citations on wildebeasts.

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
      Richard Richmond wrote:

      > If we were to take a poll on this list of those who
      > understand these references T.Iss. 7.7, T.Benj. 5:2,
      > and T. Naph. most including myself, would not know to
      > what you were refering?

      I hardly think this is the case. But be that as it may, remember
      please that this is a scholarly list. So I should hardly be faulted for
      using here -- as you now seem to be admitting I am doing , contrary to
      your previous claim -- ordinary scholarly conventions of citation.

      > My entire argument is based on
      > the text of Mark itself why would I want to look at
      > SBL find out what Mark intended to say versus what the
      > text at hand does actually say?

      In the first place, I did not ask you to look at SBL to find out what
      Mark intended Mk 1:13b to say. I asked you to look at particular texts
      that show formal and thematic parallels with Mk. 1:13b and which, as
      virtually ever scholar who has looked at them has argued, seem to stand
      as background to, and illuminate the meaning of that text.

      In the second place, Mark did not write in a vacuum. His language and
      imagery is grounded in, arises out of, and gains its meaning and
      significance from a world of thought that was basic to, and that he
      shares with, the Judaisms and Greco Roman milieu of his day. One can
      only find out what the text of Mark says by placing it against this
      background of thought and by reading it within its cultural context.

      > I do not know what you mean by these citations yet
      > that does not disqualify me or anyone else on the list
      > from commenting on the text of Mark.

      Of course not. But that's not the issue. The issue is whether these
      comments are, in the end, well informed and therefore worthy of any
      serious consideration, especially when they are as apodictic as the ones
      you have been making..

      JG
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
        Jeffrey B Gibson wrote:

        >Richard Richmond wrote:
        >

        >>If we were to take a poll on this list of those who
        >>understand these references T.Iss. 7.7, T.Benj. 5:2,
        >>and T. Naph. most including myself, would not know to
        >>what you were refering?
        >>

        >I hardly think this is the case. But be that as it may, remember
        >please that this is a scholarly list. So I should hardly be faulted for
        >using here -- as you now seem to be admitting I am doing , contrary to
        >your previous claim -- ordinary scholarly conventions of citation.

        *raises hand*--- pick me, pick me- I know.....

        That said, I think it fair to say that most folk working in Synoptic
        studies would know right away what those references were, just as
        certainly as they would know what Gen 1:2 meant or Mk 1:9. They are
        standard and conventional. And important!

        Jim

        --
        D. Jim West

      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
          At 02:48 PM 8/3/2005 -0400, Jim West wrote:
          >Jeffrey B Gibson wrote:
          >>Richard Richmond wrote:
          >>>If we were to take a poll on this list of those who
          >>>understand these references T.Iss. 7.7, T.Benj. 5:2,
          >>>and T. Naph. most including myself, would not know to
          >>>what you were refering?

          I would expect active contributors to either know these references
          (to the Testaments of Issachar, Benjamin, and Naphtali, respectively)
          or know where to look them up (e.g. p. 75 in the SBL Handbook of Style,
          available on-line to members of the SBL).

          Decent English translations of these are found in Charlesworth's
          edition of the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha. Links to older
          translations are available on-line at Peter Kirby's Early Jewish
          Writings site, http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/ .

          >>I hardly think this is the case. But be that as it may, remember
          >>please that this is a scholarly list. So I should hardly be faulted for
          >>using here -- as you now seem to be admitting I am doing , contrary to
          >>your previous claim -- ordinary scholarly conventions of citation.
          >
          >*raises hand*--- pick me, pick me- I know.....
          >
          >That said, I think it fair to say that most folk working in Synoptic
          >studies would know right away what those references were, just as
          >certainly as they would know what Gen 1:2 meant or Mk 1:9. They are
          >standard and conventional. And important!

          Agreed, and--I can't believe I'm saying this--it is proper to
          use them here on Synoptic-L. I would like to suggest that any
          further administrative questions about citation be handled by
          first contacting me or one of the other moderators OFF LIST.

          Stephen Carlson
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...