Re: [Synoptic-L] Mark 13

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19 5:27 AM
      From: E Bruce Brooks
      To: Synoptic
      Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 6:33 AM
      Subject: [Synoptic-L] Mark 13

      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      On: Mk 13
      From: Bruce

      It puzzles me that people accept Mk 13 as an integral part of Mark, as
      readily as they seem to do. To me, it sticks out in all directions as
      extraneous and intrusive. Here are some of the ways.

      Let me insert some of the solutions I found. As all other exegetes I am exploring the wintery lake on thin ice.

      1. It is very long. Most Jesus utterances in Mk are brief, even cryptic.
      This one is protracted; the speech of Jesus takes up the whole chapter.

      KH In Mark four 'speeches' are an constructural element. Van Iersel recognized two of them - chps 4 and 13 - others have recognized 10,32 - 42, Richardson ); I added 7,5 -23; hence structurally chps 4 - 7 - 10 - 13.

      2. It is open. Other Jesus predictions in Mk are puzzling, to the disciples
      and to the reader. This one goes into great detail, albeit without complete
      certainty: ifs and maybes and hopefullys.

      Mark struggles here in the wake of 70 while editing a pre-70 series of eschatological utterances

      3. The questioner is Andrew, who otherwise does not figure in Mk after his
      initial selection (save on this or that list). Of the original Five, whose
      calling is individually mentioned in Mk, Andrew and Levi play no subsequent
      role. Levi probably died early, perhaps one of the first victims of Paul's
      negative zeal; I suspect that it is Levi's replacement by Matthew that is
      garbled and adapted for Acts 1:25f. Then perhaps only Andrew was left alive,
      as of the date of Mk 13, who might be brought in for variety, consistent
      with current realism, by whoever wrote Mk 13.

      Andrew is the Greek named follower, next to the Hebrew named trio: ``Simon, Johanan and Jaakob. Together with the fuictitious Iscariot Mark altered the pre- 70 list of the historical "twelve". The number twelve of the apostles was not chosen by Jesus, but by the early christians right after the crucifixion. Mark wanted to break with the exclusively Judean tribal symbolism as the assembly of the people of God.

      These are some of my proposals,

      Karel Hanhart

      Synoptic-L homepage: http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l

      From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods