Re: [Synoptic-L] Markan Triplet (3:10 etc)

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 12, 2008
      That's the dynamic power of holiness that the Gospel of Mark portrays Jesus having as the Holy One of God -- as the title given him in Mark. I wouldn't say that he's being 'drained', by the way, merely that he notices the flow of power.

      Both holiness and impurity are dynamic powers, and they are in dynamic opposition to each other, and the holy power within Jesus is being shown as more powerful than the impurity within the woman.

      At least, that's what I think is going on in Mark's Gospel as a whole -- given encounters with the unclean spirits, for example.

      Jeffery Hodges

      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 12, 2008
        But the author of Mark said that the power had left him. I wasn't exaggerating... His energizer bunny ran down. I meant that was one mighty touch the author has her making! I think Morton Smith said something about this, but I'm too busy to grab the book and look for it.
        Dennis Dean Carpenter
        Dahlonega, Ga.

[...]

        Recent Activity
        a.. 1New Members
        Visit Your Group
        New business?
        Get new customers.

        List your web site

        in Yahoo! Search.

        Y! Groups blog
        the best source

        for the latest

        scoop on Groups.

        Special K Group
        on Yahoo! Groups

        Join the challenge

        and lose weight.
        .

      • Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 12, 2008
          I am working from memory, but as far as I recall, he felt the power go out of him, but we should be cautious about the Gospel of Mark implying that Jesus had less power afterwards.

          Jeffery Hodges

[...]

          List your web site

          in Yahoo! Search.

          Y! Groups blog
          the best source

          for the latest

          scoop on Groups.

          Special K Group
          on Yahoo! Groups

          Join the challenge

          and lose weight.
          .

          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 12, 2008
            To: Synoptic
            Cc: GPG
            On: Jairus' Daughter
            From: Bruce

            DENNIS: Bruce, I think we are not going anywhere with this. I was preparing
            a reply to your other post and saw the one that began, "In response to
            Jeffery Hodges, Dennis had said, in part..." You seemed to be trying to
            look at individual parts to determine some kind of early versus late
            construction of parts of Mark.

            BRUCE: I am looking at the text to see what it up to. One of the signs I try
            to be alert to, in Mark or in any other text, is incongruity of content or
            doctrine. That is no great stretch; to take only the most prominent and
            worrisome instance, many commentators have pointed out that the Christology
            of Mark is inconsistent; that no one theme can represent it. Another sign,
            independent of the first, is indications of narrative inconcinnity. Such
            places deserve attention to see if an insertion hypothesis will account for
            the difficulty. The classic cases of interpolation are probably the ones Ron
            Price agrees with me (and with scores of earlier commentators) in
            recognizing, namely Mk 14:28 and 16:7. To repeat the former case yet again:

            14:27. And Jesus said to them, You will all fall away, for it is written, I
            will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.

            14:28. But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.

            14:29. Peter said to him, Even though they all fall away, I will not. . .

            The point here is that the very remarkable assurance of Jesus in 14:28 is
            utterly ignored by Peter; instead, he responds with indignation to the
            prediction in 14:27. He behaves as though 14:28 were simply not there, and
            the implication is that when this passage was written, it was in fact not
            there, but was added later, presumably to give extra point to the
            Resurrection, and to show that it, like the Denials, was known in advance.
            That is the pattern that interpolated texts have, in any language. They
            interrupt the context, the context takes no note of them, and the context is
            made more consecutive when they are removed. Exactly the same pattern is
            found in 16:7, try it and see. Of course it is something of a clincher that
            16:7 *refers* to 14:28; the implication is that these two short passages
            were planted in the previous text at the same time, and for the same
            purpose.

            DENNIS: In lieu of an autograph, I'd need more.

            BRUCE: Assuming that our good friends the textual critics have done their
            work well, the autograph would look exactly like the archetype, and both
            would be indistinguishable from the thing in front of us. It is only
            reasonable to suppose that Mark VI (like me after making corrections on my
            conference paper) would make a clean copy before declaring the job done.
            What we have is that clean copy, and all we have to go on are not Mark VI's
            marginalia notes (they have been incorporated into the text), but simply the
            indications in the substance of the text.

            DENNIS: I'm looking at the gospel as a whole, thematically. I'm looking to
            see if those pieces fit. They do.

            BRUCE: If we take the many themes in Mark, and grant them equal standing as
            legitimating authorities, then any given passage will probably be
            reconcilable with one or another of them, and thus will be certified as part
            of Mark. But this evades the prior question. The prior question is whether
            the themes themselves fit each other. Do the Son of Man passages really
            cohere with the Son of God passages? That question and similar ones have
            been argued repeatedly, and at book length. I take those books as a symptom
            that there is something there to discuss.

            The (almost) two thousand years of intense hermeneutic attention to Mark
            have produced various results which are satisfactory to many. It would be
            surprising if they hadn't. Harmonization is the typical task of a commentary
            literature, in all cultures of which I have any experience. It's just that
            the efforts to harmonize and rationalize Mark haven't convinced all of us
            that there is no problem there in the first place. The evidence of
            inconcinnity and inconsistency in the text continues to weigh with some of
            us.

            And theoretically, what right have we to look at any text "as a whole"
            before we determine that it really IS a whole? The kind of philological
            tests I am proposing are how one makes that determination. To proceed
            without that step is what Yau Ji-hvng (recently quoted) disapproved of. We
            can't know how to make use of a text until we know what sort of text it is,
            and whether it is in one layer or in several. The job of making that
            determination cannot be referred to interpretation; that comes later. The
            preparatory work of seeing whether we have one text or seven, or no text at
            all (in the case of a mediaeval forgery), belongs not to history but to what
            I have called philology. It is a separate step, a necessary if admittedly a
            humble one.

            Take an example from the other end of the Mediterranean. Are the carmina of
            Horace "a whole?" He certainly regarded them as such, as witness his
            peroration at the end of Book III. But then he came back to the job, after
            ten years and a little pressure from Augustus, and wrote more poetry, our
            Book IV. This we know because we know it (the correspondence of Augustus was
            supposedly preserved). But suppose we didn't? Could we still detect anything
            from the text alone? I think we could get at least a hint of the situation,
            starting with the manifest overridden ending that once closed Book III
            (exegi monumentum aere perennius), and continuing, at the deep analysis
            level, with a slightly different way with the Sapphic meter in Book IV than
            is seen in Books I-III. These are not impressions, and not prior agendas,
            they are facts about the text that anyone can rediscover for themselves with
            sufficient application. Those observational facts tend to suggest what, in
            this case, we know from outside evidence to be true.

            DENNIS: The onus on you is to show how they don't fit within the basic book,
            within the themes found in the book. To consider them as interpolations
            because they don't seem logical to you doesn't mean they are interpolated.

            BRUCE: Sorry, that's not how I proceed. If we're going to talk, let's at
            least be talking about the same thing. For what I actually do, please go
            back to the above.

            The nature miracles in Mark don't seem to me "logical," meaning that I
            consider them impossible. That's my personal judgement. But it has nothing
            to do with how the author of Mark regarded them, and it is Mark's take on
            them that I am interested in recovering, to the extent possible. I already
            know what *I* think. What I don't know is what *Mark* thinks (or the several
            Marks successively think).

            But I am working on it.

          • Dennis Dean Carpenter
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 13, 2008
[...]

              Dennis: Not necessarily interpolated, if one looks at the attitude of the author toward Peter. (8:32-33, 9:5, 10:28, 14:37, 14:66-72). Then, we have the youth sitting at the tomb, having to remind the women to "tell the disciples, including Prock, he is going ahead of you to Galilee!" In the Gospel of Mark, the author's opinion of Peter is negative - he is portrayed among other things as rather stupid and forgetful. (I think that's the main reason he is nicknamed "Rock," as in "thick as a brick." Is 14:27-29 within the scope of the author's portrayal of this "sidekick?" I believe it is. While it may be an interpolation, Peter's behavior, forgetting what was just said, is very much characteristic of Peter, and pretty much the disciples as a group. Remember, after the first story of the feeding the multitudes, the author portrays them as having forgotten that the protagonist has already magically made the bread and fish multiply. So why is it odd that Peter doesn't "get it?" He rarely does.

              Dennis Dean Carpenter
              Dahlonega, Ga. .

            • David Cavanagh
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 13, 2008
                Dennis Dean Carpenter wrote:

                > "14:27. And Jesus said to them, You will all fall away, for it is
                > written, I
                > will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.
                >
                > 14:28. But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.
                >
                > 14:29. Peter said to him, Even though they all fall away, I will not. . .
                >
                > The point here is that the very remarkable assurance of Jesus in 14:28 is
                > utterly ignored by Peter; instead, he responds with indignation to the
                > prediction in 14:27. He behaves as though 14:28 were simply not
                > there...........

                My understanding of this and related issues is slightly different. I
                think we find it all too easy to see the disciples as foolish and slow
                of understanding. In doing so, we forget that Jesus was essentially
                speaking in "code" or that we have the benefit of hindsight. The Passion
                and Resurrection predictions have undoubtedly been sharpened in the
                light of Easter. When Jesus spoke of the "Son of Man" it would not have
                been clear to the disciples that he was speaking of himself, and in this
                instance it should be remembered that resurrection was expected at the
                end of time......so Peter might have taken Jesus' statement as the
                equivalent of the modern "one day God will set things to rights"
                (expecting that day to still be a long way off). Simplistic? Maybe.......

                David Cavanagh
                Major (The Salvation Army)
                Florence (Italy)

              • Horace Jeffery Hodges
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 13, 2008
                  Dennis, you state, "In the Gospel of Mark, the author's opinion of Peter is negative -- he is portrayed among other things as rather stupid and forgetful," and you add, "I think that's the main reason he is nicknamed 'Rock,' as in 'thick as a brick'."

                  It's true that Peter doesn't give a very good impression in the Gospel of Mark, but that gospel gives no account of him receiving the nickname "Rock," and as you also note, his thickheadedness characterizes "pretty much the disciples as a group." In Matthew, of course, Peter is called "Rock" for a different reason than the one that you give.

                  At any rate, do you have some evidence for your speculation about the nickname in Mark? Did the nickname "Rock" carry the implication in first-century Judaism that you suggest?

                  Jeffery Hodges

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 13, 2008
                    To: Synoptic
                    Cc: GPG
                    On: Mk 14:28
                    From: Bruce

                    Dennis, you are not engaging my point. Instead, you are explaining the
                    passage by reference to a holistic interpretation.

                    Which is fine with me. You have previously indicated that you are satisfied
                    with your holistic view of Mark, and it's not my intention to disturb
                    anyone's equanimity. Those who are satisfied with Mark are perfectly
                    welcome, as far as I am concerned, to go on being satisfied with Mark. These
                    little notes of mine meant only for those who think that Mark may contain
                    difficulties of one sort or another which have not so far been
                    satisfactorily resolved by previous scholarship. Others are warmly
                    encouraged to ignore them.

                    I reply below pro forma, in case any Markanly dissatisfied persons on the
                    list may be interested.

                    Bruce

                    ---------------

                    I will do the rest of this as a Q and A on my immediately previous diagram
                    of Mk 14:28 in context.

                    Q: Not necessarily interpolated, if one looks at the attitude of the author
                    toward Peter. (8:32-33, 9:5, 10:28, 14:37, 14:66-72).

                    A: The interpolation is signaled simply by the fact that Peter in 14:29 does
                    not respond to 14:28 (the promise of Resurrection, which one would expect
                    might engage his attention) but rather to 14:27. He ignores 14:28.

                    As for the position of Peter in the text of Mark, it is sometimes very
                    positive (as at 8:30, where Peter is the only one to recognize Jesus as the
                    Messiah) and sometimes very negative (as at 8:33, where Jesus calls him
                    "Satan"). Peter in Mark runs the gamut from +10 to -10. Can't the author of
                    this text, assuming the text to be a unitary production and thus to *have* a
                    single author, can't that author make up his mind whether Peter is a good
                    guy or a bad guy?

                    Nor is Peter the only hard case for Markan consistency. Take Herod. We hear
                    in Mark fulminations against the Herodians, and warnings about "the leaven
                    of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod," and what this means we don't
                    know, but obviously it is bad. Herod killed John, and he has his agents
                    watching Jesus; and the Pharisees are conspiring with the Herodians how to
                    kill Jesus. So far, we have no trouble identifying the guys in the bad hats.
                    But then in addition to all this, we have an extended narrative of John in
                    prison, and Herod in that narrative is portrayed this way: "for Herod feared
                    John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and kept him safe. When
                    he heard him, he was much perplexed, and yet he heard him gladly." (Mk
                    6:20). Reminds me (doesn't it you?) of the appearances of Paul before
                    various sympathetic governors, who as the story has it, would have released
                    him, or been converted by him, save for the opposition of this or that
                    discontented and hostile party.

                    Anyway, here is Herod, the confused but willing listener to the Gospel. Does
                    Mark know which side he is on, or does he not? Is he a blithering idiot, or
                    is something else going on here? I have seen enough of the world not to rule
                    out the Blithering Idiot option incontinently, but perhaps the other
                    possibility deserves exploration first. I have been trying to conduct just
                    that sort of exploration.

                    Q: Then, we have the youth sitting at the tomb, having to remind the women
                    to "tell the disciples, including Prock, he is going ahead of you to
                    Galilee!"

                    A: I don't know about "having to." The youth, appearing miraculously, and
                    being supernaturally well informed about what Jesus has previously said (in
                    14:28!) to his disciples, tells the women that Jesus has risen, and then he
                    goes on to add that they should let the disciples and Peter know that Jesus
                    will be waiting for them in Galilee. To this second bit of rather remarkably
                    good news, they respond not with joy (unless you go with the Matthean
                    rewrite, which I do not recommend, but with fear and awe, at the evidence
                    and the confirming report that Jesus has risen from the dead, and is no
                    longer in the realm of the dead. That is, they react to the youth's words
                    *up to and including 16:6.* With the 16:7 Galilee detail, as has been
                    repeatedly mentioned and endlessly hashed over, they do nothing. This may be
                    their stupidity, though nothing in the previous narrative makes them
                    anything other than solicitous and devoted, or it may be that the 16:7
                    comment about Galilee was never made to them, in the narrative in which they
                    originally figured.

                    Suppose we elect to try out the latter option, just as a mental exercise.
                    Then there immediately vanishes, dare I suggest, the old problem of the
                    women's "disobedience." The women, on that assumption, are not disobedient.
                    They react perfectly appropriately to the cosmic event which they have just
                    come up against.

                    Q: In the Gospel of Mark, the author's opinion of Peter is negative - he is
                    portrayed among other things as rather stupid and forgetful. (I think that's
                    the main reason he is nicknamed "Rock," as in "thick as a brick." Is
                    14:27-29 within the scope of the author's portrayal of this "sidekick?" I
                    believe it is.

                    A: No. See next.

                    Q: While it may be an interpolation, Peter's behavior, forgetting what was
                    just said, is very much characteristic of Peter, . . .

                    A: Unfortunately, not all the time (see above). The portrait of Peter in
                    Mark is radically inconsistent. Where he is seen as stupid, we may be
                    reminded of his other stupid moments. Where is is insightful, we may be
                    reminded of his general leadership among the group. In general, I think it
                    is methodologically unsound to use an inconsistent whole to justify the
                    inconsistent details. As to this particular detail (to repeat once again),
                    the problem with Peter and 14:28 is not that he misunderstands it, it is
                    that he does not react to it at all. It is not a source of confusion to him,
                    it simply doesn't exist for him.

                    Q: . . . and pretty much the disciples as a group.

                    A: We have now changed the subject, but I am willing to admit that the
                    disciples as a group also have consistency problems.

                    Q: Remember, after the first story of the feeding the multitudes, the
                    author portrays them as having forgotten that the protagonist has already
                    magically made the bread and fish multiply.

                    A: That particular passage gets us into the famous "doublet" problem with
                    the Two Feedings (not to mention the Two Spit Healings, and other seeming
                    duplications that cluster in this part of the text. It would be a long
                    digression to take up that problem now, and I ask leave to defer it to a
                    separate message. Instead, let's return to Peter.

                    Q: So why is it odd that Peter doesn't "get it?" He rarely does.

                    A: The point of 14:28 is not that Peter does not understand about the
                    Appearance in Galilee, but that he does not even hear the sentence in which
                    that Appearance is announced. The narrative fails to connect with itself.
                    This is what folks mean by the word "inconcinnity."

                    When the striking 14:28 (which Peter does not misunderstand, but simply
                    ignores) is removed, we have a perfectly coherent and consecutive narrative,
                    in which Peter *does* respond to what Jesus says, and with a rather likeable
                    indignation at the prediction of his later defection. That restored
                    narrative goes like this:

                    RESTORATION
                    And Jesus said to them, You will all fall away, for it is written, I will
                    strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered. Peter said to him,
                    Even though they all fall away, I will not. And Jesus said to him, Truly, I
                    say to you, this very night, before the cock crows twice, you will deny me
                    three times. But he said vehemently, If I must die with you, I will not deny
                    you. And they all said the same.

                    Isn't that simple, dramatic, effective, and narratively consistent? Wouldn't
                    it be nice if all the Markan story were this straightforward and coherent?

                    Well, maybe it was, at one time, before some of these interruptions and
                    insertions and geographically haywire meanderings were stuck into the text.

                    It is that possibility that I am pursuing with this series of notes. For
                    those who may be interested. To the others, my apology for the interruption,
                    and my best wishes of the season.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 13, 2008
                      I'm not sure how this fits in, but I would like to point out that the two miracles we are discussing are numbers 2 and 3 in a set of 4 miracles that Mark has placed within a single day.

                      In Mk, chs 4 and 5 create "A Day in the Life of Jesus," starting with an entire day of teaching.  Jesus wants to get away and rest, but is interrupted 4 times.  First, he stops a sea storm, second, he is confronted with a legion of demons, third a multi-decade chronic illness, and, fourth, death itself.

                      This is a series of power encounters against the great fears and uncontrollables of the pre-modern world in which Jesus prevails in every case.  (The construct of a single day ends with the begining of ch. 6.  Jesus never did get to rest.)

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 13, 2008
                        Yeah, and in the section just before four, he can not even get a bite to eat. Interpolation or another one of those darned interruptions!
                        Dennis Dean Carpenter

[...]

                        The place to go

                        to stay informed

                        on Groups news!

                        Yahoo! Groups
                        Going Green Zone

                        Learn to go green.

                        Save energy. Save the planet.

                        All-Bran
                        10 Day Challenge

                        Join the club and

                        feel the benefits.
                        .

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 13, 2008
                          To: Synoptic
                          Cc: GPG; WSW
                          Not Quite In Response To: Chuck Jones
                          From: Bruce

                          I am not going to interlineate this one (for which nevertheless thanks); I
                          am going to repeat it and then reflect on it. Here is what Chuck said:

                          "I'm not sure how this fits in, but I would like to point out that the two
                          miracles we are discussing are numbers 2 and 3 in a set of 4 miracles that
                          Mark has placed within a single day. / In Mk, chs 4 and 5 create "A Day in
                          the Life of Jesus," starting with an entire day of teaching. Jesus wants to
                          get away and rest, but is interrupted 4 times. First, he stops a sea storm,
                          second, he is confronted with a legion of demons, third a multi-decade
                          chronic illness, and, fourth, death itself. / This is a series of power
                          encounters against the great fears and uncontrollables of the pre-modern
                          world in which Jesus prevails in every case. (The construct of a single day
                          ends with the beginning of ch. 6. Jesus never did get to rest)."

                          MEDITATION I

                          There is a classical Chinese book called Jwangdz; fans of Thomas Merton and
                          perhaps some others will have heard of it. It is very funny, very
                          antigovernmental, very agreeable in parts to certain aspects of our modern
                          sensibility. The prevailing view is that the lower-numbered chapters are
                          earlier, and the higher-numbered ones later, maybe even Han Dynasty (the
                          Empire; the postclassical period). So what parts of it do the Han literary
                          folks like, and thus regard as unquestionably authentic? The lower-numbered
                          chapters? Not in a million years. Rather: the higher-numbered chapters. The
                          ones closest to them in time, and thus the ones closest to their own
                          philosophical sensibilities. The ones that speak most directly to their
                          concerns and condition.

                          It is very natural, once you think of it. The most recent thing, the most
                          evolved, is what most appeals to posterity, whether proximal or remote. I
                          don't quite want to make it a rule, but it is at least a regularity, one
                          that we should not be surprised to meet again.

                          I seem to meet it again in Chuck's appreciation of the miracles in Mk 4-5,
                          and his disinterest in the Sermon By The Sea parables. And why? My a priori
                          suspicion (coming out of a good deal of watching texts and readers at work
                          together, in different parts of the world) would be: Maybe because the
                          miracles are later than the parables. That is Suspicion 1, not yet a proof,
                          but perhaps actionable as a suspicion. Let us entertain it, and see what
                          happens. We can always go back and push the UNDO button and return to the
                          status quo ante, if we find it gets us nowhere.

                          MEDITATION II

                          Suspicion 2 is that in the Four Gospels taken together, we can see a process
                          of progressive divinization of Jesus, through the miraculous birth of
                          Matthew and Luke to the cosmic identity of John. There is thus a perfectly
                          visible and verifiable tendency, over time, for the Jesus community to
                          promote Jesus into the top position. Suspicion 2a is that this process may
                          apply, not just *between* the Four Gospels, but *within* the Earliest
                          Gospel, namely Mark. The accretional theory of Mark, on which I seem to have
                          a copyright as well as sole possession, is also a theory that Mark, the
                          text, was progressively upgraded so as to keep pace with developing ideas in
                          the community to which that text was somehow responsive. (Just like
                          Microsoft automatically upgraded my antivirus software last night, while I
                          wasn't looking, to keep pace with the bad people who think up the viruses.
                          Our modern version of Controversy Stories).

                          I look at those miracles in Mk 4-5, and I see a conspicuous mixture. There
                          are rather humble healings (with mutterings in Aramaic, and a personal
                          touch, and advice to the parents to see that the patient gets something to
                          eat). There are also grand exorcisms, where Jesus is not besought, but
                          actually worshipped (Mk 5:6) by the sufferer, and where the possession is
                          not by one demon, no, that would be piddling, but by Two Thousand Demons,
                          who after a fully reported contest of wills are sent into an equal number of
                          pigs, and are ironically drowned in the sea. Here Jesus is not picking the
                          wax out of some hard of hearing person's ear, he is mastering supernatural
                          beings with his own superior supernatural power. And that is not enough to
                          wow the audience? Very good, we can improve on it. Over here is Jesus
                          speaking words of rebuke, not to demons, but to Nature Itself, and Nature
                          Itself meekly obeying, so that the dazzled disciples ask, What sort of a guy
                          IS this, anyways?

                          I trust that the steady ratcheting up of the power level will be obvious. If
                          Jesus can command Nature, what is he doing in the same chapter bringing
                          little girls out of comas, when a command to Nature will so much more
                          dazzlingly make his point? Let him call down fire and rain, or if they are
                          already there, let him bid them cease. Never mind this aches and pains
                          stuff. Answer, he would NOT be doing so, any more than the Dean of the
                          Medical School still takes Saturdays off from his job to prescribe aspirins
                          for the neighborhood children. No, the human probability is that we are here
                          confronted with several additive (but haphazardly placed) layers of
                          successively more grandiose persona construction.

                          MEDITATION III

                          People seem not to get the hang of the idea of using textual signs of
                          interpolation as a guide to layering in a text. 100 years ago, it would have
                          been second nature for anyone humanistically educated, but apparently it is
                          no longer 100 years ago. Tsk. Julius Wellhausen, thou shouldst be living at
                          this hour. We therefore have no empirical, fine-grained evidence to support
                          our previous suspicions, or at least no empirical, fine-grained evidence
                          that is evident to all parties. There, as it might be, is the end of our
                          imaginings.

                          But wait: sooner or later it is going to occur to somebody with an hour and
                          a half and a pencil on their hands (say, in the airport, in these ever more
                          difficult days) to ask, What if we separate out on paper all the Really
                          Cosmic Miracles, and on another sheet the Masterful Exorcisms, and on still
                          another the Country Doc Healings? Would each of those three bodies of
                          material, thus arbitrarily defined, have ANY OTHER DISTINCTIVE FEATURES? CAN
                          THEY BE CODEFINED?

                          They would. They can. But I am not saying how. Not until Monday the 24th, at
                          7 AM in the Sheridan Conference Room. See you there, and bring your sheets
                          of airport paper with you. AND your pencil.

                          MEDITATION IV

                          Meanwhile, as a final note of sympathy for the working man: If we take out
                          the aggrandizing additions to these two chapters, does Jesus have a more
                          nearly normal day? The very question assumes that Mark meant to represent it
                          as a day, and I think this may be doubted. Look at the end of the Sermon By
                          The Sea, 4:33 "With many such parables he spoke the Word to them, as they
                          were able to hear it." I think this suggests that the foregoing parables are
                          after all not a transcript of a single sermon, but a sample of Jesus's
                          preaching, conveniently collected into one place. As though to say, "Here is
                          the kind of thing Jesus used to say tpo the crowds when he was speaking to
                          them." Mark likes to group things: teaching parables, conflict stories, and
                          the like. It is this characteristic, I suspect, which gets people like
                          Papias down on him for having no real time sequence, over much of his
                          Gospel, just a sort of arrangement of material classified by type.
                          Convenient, and usable, but without narrative force.

                          Papias, as I understand from Eusebius, was one of history's all-time
                          weirdos, but not even weirdos are wrong all the time. Some of them have a
                          rather developed, even an acute, literary sense. Their hints are thus
                          sometimes worth taking, just like everybody else's.