[Synoptic-L] explanations for the two versions of the LP

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
      Several of the ?explanations? of the different versions on the LP are
      already adumbrated by Bengel, and I am fairly sure he is not the first
      to make most of these points. (With apologies for delay in responding
      to the thread.)

      This is what is in my 1855 copy of the 3rd Edition of Bengel?s Gnomon
      on p.248 ad Luc. xi.2 (1st ed was 1742).

      Formulam incomparabilem alio tempore Matthaeus populo pluribus verbis;
      alio Lucas discipulis rogantibus brevius praescriptam recenset.
      Itaque summa orationum semper est eadem: sed alio tempore omnia
      aitemata sive capita precum, alio quaedam ex omnibus, libero verborum
      rerumque delectu exercentur. Neque necesse habuit Lucas in numero
      rogationum, cum Matthaeo, qui tamen non expresse eas septem esse ait,
      congruere. nam idem beatitudines cap. 6,20. fs. aliter ac Matthaeus;
      idem decalogum aliter ac Moses, enumerat.

      Quick rough summary
      Different audiences at different times, Luke more concise, gist the
      same, sometimes all the petitions sometimes some, using free choice of
      words and topics. Luke didn?t have to agree with Matthew in the number
      of petitions, and anyway M doesn?t expressly number them as seven, and
      anyway Luke enumerates the beatitudes differently compared with
      Matthew, and he numbers the decalogue differently compared with Moses.

      Plus ca change?