Re: [Synoptic-L] Parables

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2008
      From: E Bruce Brooks
      To: Synoptic
      Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:46 AM
      Subject: [Synoptic-L] Parables

      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      On: Parables
      From: Bruce

      One often encounters statements to the effect that Markan Priority is, to
      quote one such statement, "the most assured result of Biblical scholarship."
      We all know the exceptions, some of them by their first names, but I should
      think that a secret ballot of the SBL membership, say, on a Wednesday snap
      quiz, would wind up supporting that conclusion more than any other. One is
      justified in taking it as least the majority position.

      What I don't find is that this majority opinion has any great effect on
      Biblical scholarship in general. Consider the Parables. One might think (and
      I, as a person from another philological planet, did in fact think) that
      books on the Parables would take them in the order of their attestation in
      successively later Gospels,

      Bruce,

      The exclusive series of parables on seed and harvest in Mark 4 (apart from the parable of the vineyard in Mark 12) to me makes perfect sense. The first three chapters of Mark is set in the harvest season of Shabuot, that follows Pesach. Papias already noted the strange (liturgical) "order" of Mark precisely because the normal liturgical order is first Pesach and than Pentecost. Mark 4 is basingthe Pentecostal setting of these first chapters on Jesus own teachings and he interprets the secret of the parables with the 'Messianic Secret'.

      cordially,

      Karel Hanhart

      Visit Your Group
      New web site?