Yarbro Collins Pre-Markan Passion Narrative Reconstruction

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2008
      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      On: Yarbro Collins Pre-Markan Passion Narrative Reconstruction
      From: Bruce

      Sorry for the previous inadequate effort; I have now made it good, or anyway
      better. At:

      http://www.umass.edu/wsp/biblica/quest/index.html

      . . . those interested will find an improved account of Adela Yarbro
      Collins' reconstruction of the Pre-Markan Passion Narrative. It covers all
      of Mk 14-16, the casual definition of the Markan Passion Narrative, and
      includes material on both sides of the segment AYC regards as corresponding
      to that prior document, just for convenient comparison. It uses her
      translation both above (the PNP) and below (the full text of Mk 14-16),
      which was not the case before; some long omitted sections have been
      summarized.

      I learned something by doing it, and I think something like this version is
      the way to look at her proposal critically. In a sense it is unfair to her,
      since by printing her reconstruction as a single block of text (in her
      Appendix), she lets it be test-read as such, and without constant reference
      to what is missing. On the whole, or so it seems to me, it gives a fairly
      good impression as such.

      I agree with a number of her interpolation or addition decisions; it seems
      to me she that in this department her eye is pretty good. In the end, though
      she has certainly contributed to the stratification of Mk 14-16, I don't
      think she makes her case for the existence of a PNP as such. But that can
      await later discussion.

      There will probably be some later discussion at the SBL session this
      November devoted to reviewing her commentary, and perhaps some of the
      implications will come up at another SBL session, yet to be announced.
      Discussion in advance is welcome, at least to me; those who don't want to
      trouble the peace of Synoptic may E me direct.