Re: [Synoptic-L] A Reconstruction of the Pre-Markan PassionNarrative

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2008
      Bruce Brooks wrote:

      > I can't at this moment find exactly the page I want, in the back of
      > the book, but this will do, from p532, sv Passion narrative:
      >
      > "The assertion that the Romans were innocent of Jesus' death and the Jews
      > responsible is pure Christian propaganda, in the judgment of the Seminar.
      > The conspiracy against Jesus and the role of Judas, as well as Judas
      > himself, are probably fictions. The story of Peter's denial is a fiction.
      > The two trials are fictions; Luke has added a third trial before Herod,
      > which is also a fiction. The mocking may be a fiction. Simon of Cyrene is a
      > fiction. The burial of Jesus is a fiction carried out by a fictional
      > character, Joseph of Arimathea."
      >
      > That is pure PC.

      Bruce,

      Whether or not it is 'politically correct' is irrelevant unless you are
      accusing the JSem of reaching these conclusions via historically irrational
      reasoning.

      > I realize how much post-Holocaust liberal guilt is running
      > around out there, but this complete denial of what is deeply woven into the
      > Gospel accounts seems to be ill-judged philologically,

      What the JSem are saying is that Mark's account is largely the author's
      imaginative elaboration of a small historical core. This is a well-known
      technique which probably goes back at least as far as Homer.

      > ..... and to have instead a basis in contemporary emotion. I think it has
      > no place in scholarly discourse.

      Surely what has no place in scholarly discourse is discussion of another
      scholar's motive.

      I happen to agree with these particular conclusions in the above paragraph
      quoted from "The Acts of Jesus", and my agreement is based on rational
      historical arguments arrived at independently of the JSem. I have no axe to
      grind. I am merely curious about what actually happened.

      > AYC, in her stratification of the Markan Passion Narrative, .......

      Response forthcoming when I've found out exactly what this stratification
      entails.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2008
        Bruce Brooks wrote:

        > Is there an online, or other accessible, version of his reconstructed
        > archetype of Mark?

        No. So here it is, based on the NA27 Greek text less 9:12b; 14:28; 14:61b-64
        and 16:7, all of which have the hallmarks of interpolations.

        The structure is a hierarchy with up to 3 levels. Indentations in the
        section titles are intended to indicate levels in the hierarchy, but the
        levels can be worked out from the chap:vers range after each title.

        Lets pp

        1235 1 Introduction to the "gospel" 1:1-15 framed
        The Galilean ministry 1:16-8:26
        5561 4 The call to break with old ways 1:16-3:6 framed
        9578 7 The multitudes hear about Jesus 3:7-6:6a framed
        9517 7 The mission to feed the multitudes 6:6b-8:26 framed
        The way of the cross 8:27-15:39 framed
        On the way 8:27-10:52 framed
        1349 1 Caesarea Philippi: 1st prediction 8:27-9:1
        3971 3 In Galilee: 2nd prediction 9:2-50
        2896 2 Beyond the Jordan: 3rd prediction 10:1-34
        1479 1 What shall I do for you? 10:35-52
        The coming of the Lord 11:1 - 13:37 framed
        2751 2 Jesus comes to Jerusalem 11:1-33
        4135 3 The exemplars of Judaism condemned 12:1-13:2
        2720 2 The signs of the end 13:3-37
        Chief priests cause the death of Jesus 14:1-15:39 framed
        1443 1 Preparations for the Passover 14:1-16
        2703 2 Betrayal 14:17-52
        1423 1 Denial 14:53-72
        1382 1 The trial before Pilate 15:1-20a
        1354 1 The crucifixion 15:20b-39
        1334 1 Conclusion: the experience of the women 15:40-16:8

        Total 54831 Greek letters; 40 pages; mean 1371 letters per page
        Mean deviation of 17 base sections from 40-page model is 60 letters.
        When the mathematics is done, it is clear that in the case of this book the
        author/scribe did not use the page boundaries as mere guidelines, but
        actually fitted the material for each section exactly onto the number of
        pages allocated to it.

        Notes

        1. The fact that the total number of pages is a whole multiple of 40
        strongly suggests that the gospel was planned for a codex. This brings added
        meaning to Mk 2:22 : "new wine is for fresh skins". The Jews used scrolls,
        but Mark thought Christianity deserved a new medium.
        2. It has long been recognized that anyone composing a document for a codex
        would have to plan carefully in order to fit the intended material into it
        (c.f. e.g. Aland & Aland; Elliott). For it is not possible to add a sheet or
        two at the end, as it is with a scroll. It is proposed here that the author
        first decided how many sheets to use, then divided his material into
        sections and allocated one or more pages to each section.
        3. The word "framed" indicates that the section has an 'inclusio'. This
        lends additional support to the originality of the section.
        4. The structure is symmetrical up to the second level. The originality of
        this part of the division into sections is further supported by word stem
        analysis (finding the stem which best characterises each section, which can
        be done objectively using a relatively simple mathematical formula). But
        this is way beyond the scope of this email.
        5. The author's structure has greater detail towards the end, which is just
        what we would expect from someone wishing to ensure that the crucial climax
        of the story fits properly onto the codex.