Re: [Synoptic-L] A Reconstruction of the Pre-Markan Passion Narrative

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2008
      Bruce Brooks wrote:

      > ..... the whole Markan crucifixion scene, through 15:40 (the Women at
      > the Cross), is black in this JSem book. One wonders if JSem regards the
      > whole Crucifixion of Jesus as a fiction, and to find out, I turn to their
      > preferred Gospels, Matthew and Luke. Matthew (p263-264), same story: all
      > black except that historical truth appears with the Women At The Cross. Luke
      > (p360-362), same story, except that Luke's unique addition of 23:27,
      > "including women who mourned and lamented him" with the crowd who followed
      > him, also gets a patch of color (robin blue).

      Bruce,

      I suggest you read "The Acts of Jesus" more carefully. The fact of the
      crucifixion of Jesus is indicated by *red* in Mt 27:26bc // Mk 15:15c and Mt
      27:35a // Mk 15:24a // Lk 23:33b (five places in all in the synoptics).

      > ..... I find that Yarbro Collins is right to see stratification in that part
      > of Mark considered simply as a text. For instance, she excises the tale of
      > Peter's Denials.

      She is wrong on this if she implies interpolation, for I've reconstructed
      the archetype of Mark, and I can assure you that the denials were in there.
      They are far too substantial for my method not to be able to distinguish
      between their presence and their absence. But I would need to see her full
      argument before presenting a detailed rebuttal.