Consider these uses of META and SUV in Mark

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      consistent corrections made to a text of Mark that
      pre-dated what we have today.

      SUV and META emendations to the text or Mark

      At several points in the text of Mark, these two
      prepositions are used to add parties to the narrative.
      The following are examples.

      1:13 “with the wild beats” is questionable in the
      context. QHRIWN does not appear elsewhere in the text
      of Mark and serves no apparent point in the narrative.

      Mar 1:20 And immediately he called them; and they left
      their father Zebedee in the boat [with the hired
      servants] and followed him. (here META is used to
      patch in the new text)

      This is a typical addition to the text to take the
      sense of abandonment away from James and John who left
      their father in the boat. By adding “with the hired
      servants” it makes the point that their father was not
      left to manage on his own. This addition is not
      original to Mark and there is a reprimand for this
      type of abandonment when we get to chapter seven as
      Jesus cites the law of Croban demonstrating that
      members of the scribes and Pharisees could leave their
      parents without help. Much of Mark’s narrative depends
      on the reader making the demonstrative connections to
      be able do decide the right or wrong parties the
      narrative situation. Corban allowed those who were
      giving there wealth to God to exempt themselves from
      caring for their parents. This would have been a real
      issue among the Essenes as all of their wealth went to
      the community. And we know from Acts that that
      practice happened in Christian circles as well.

      RSV Mar 1:29 And immediately he left the synagogue,
      and entered the house of Simon and Andrew, [with James
      and John].

      In the examples above as well as this one the text
      reads fine without the addition that follows meta;
      James and John appear as and afterthought because that
      is just what they are. Not the thought of the narrator
      but of the corrector.

      RSV Mar 4:10 And when he was alone, those who were
      about him [with the twelve] asked him concerning the
      parables. (here SUV performs the same purpose of
      pasting as we saw with META above) (The twelve appear
      as an after thought but is more likely the work of a
      editor adding to the text to improve the image of the
      twelve and their intimate relationship to Jesus.)

      RSV Mar 8:34 And he called to him the multitude [with
      his disciples], and said to them, "If any man would
      come after me, let him deny himself and take up his
      cross and follow me. (the addition here allows for
      Peter to be brought back into the picture)

      RSV Mar 9:4 And there appeared to them Elijah [with
      Moses and they were] talking to Jesus.

      Here Moses is placed in a significant position
      apparently giving advice to Jesus in the sequence that
      follows Elijah’s role will be elaborated on but there
      will be no more mention of Moses. (By placing Moses
      into the narrative the importance of the Law in
      addition to the prophets is brought to bear on the
      ministry of Jesus we can also assume that the story
      about Peter wanting to build the 3 tents has also be
      added or altered. It is difficult to say if Peter had
      offered to make two tents in the original) The sermon
      on the mount serves to validate the Law in the Gospel
      of Matthew. The Pauline influence in Mark is at issue
      where the Law of Moses is concerned.

      I also have indications that 15:27 and 15:32 introduce
      changes to an earlier for of the text with the use of
      SUV but I do not want to argue that at this point as
      there is more evidence to be gathered and variants to
      be checked.

      One final comment I would make is that these changes
      as I have outlined them demonstrate the very same sort
      of differences I noted earlier with respect to the
      agenda that Matthew and Luke demonstrate with respect
      to their handling of the text of Mark. These are
      issues that divided the factions as far back as the
      letters to the Corinthians. Some of these issues
      separate Protestants and Catholics even today. The
      Priesthood of believers and the presence of God in the
      Eucharist being two of them.

      The role of the disciples including the twelve

      The relationship of the disciples to Jesus

      The issue of authority (to take or not to take a
      shepherds staff)

      The issue of money and paid clergy

      The significance of the bread of Eucharist over
      against the spiritual bread of the word

      The role of Peter and his relationship to Jesus

      The role of James and John and their relationship to
      Jesus.

      The necessity of keeping the law of Moses and to what
      degree.

      These are issues that divided the early church as it
      was expressed among Jews and Gentiles. And these
      factious traditions remained in conflict along these
      lines long after Jerusalem was destroyed.

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

      Yahoo! Mail