Re: [Synoptic-L] Luke's Agenda

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008
      It seems to me that any historical methodology goes beyond texts to the
      socio-political and cultural anthropology of the characters in the text.
      The first third of the 1st century was a very dynamic period forged by the
      previous two centuries that saw the Maccabean Revolt, the Hasmoneans, the
      rule of Rome and the Herodian client kings. The literature of this period,
      Daniel and the Enochian corpus, formed the foundation from which Jesus
      preached and though there is much he does not mention, we know that much of
      it underlay his "son of Man" and Kingdom Movement. Example...That Jesus was
      familiar with Daniel and Enoch is not, IMO, an argument from Silence. The
      same, I think, would hold true for the cultural winds blowing around the
      hagiographers...provided, of course, we could place them in time and place.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX